Tutin Testing FYI

Curious and ignorant about tutin testing I asked a chemist mate about the possibility of DIY testing kits being available. This is his reply :

I am afraid there would be no amateur way

of doing your own test for the honey - Unlike other substances where

there are test kits that you can add a drop or two of the compound of

interest and look for an indicative colour change etc, to my

knowledge, these don't exist for tutin. The molecule itself is rather

large and quite complicated - In fact, I am not aware even of an

'artificial' total synthesis in a lab anywhere where such a synthetic

analogue to be used as a comparative standard has been done. An

accredited lab would probably have to resort to fairly sophisticated

liquid chromatography - mass spectroscopy technique to identify it -

Unfortunately, not with the sort of equipment that is affordable or

readily available to the public. You would probably have to stick

with one of the big Crown Research Institutes - Cawthron, Crop and

Food, AsureQuality, ESR or possibly Callaghan Innovation (formerly

IRL) to help you

• Like 4
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Hills Laboratory in Hamilton. $140ish apparently

Auckland Beekeepers Club makes a bulk entry to AssureQuality of samples for members - $20 per sample - samples delivered to the Club on the Club's extraction day. Next day is 9 March.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

We are hoping to harvest our first batch of honey soon and will need it testing for tutin. Is it cheaper by the numbers (as in samples) to be tested? How does it work?? Also is Hills the best to use as we are only an hour from Hamilton?

We are hoping to harvest our first batch of honey soon and will need it testing for tutin. Is it cheaper by the numbers (as in samples) to be tested? How does it work?? Also is Hills the best to use as we are only an hour from Hamilton?

Auckland Beekeepers Club are offering testing dates over the next three weeks @Martin Garside will have the details. The price this year is $25 per sample.

Basically all samples are combined and that sample is tested (groups of ten combined I think) - if there is any tutin the individual sub samples will need testing to see which apiary/sample has the tutin. This is an effective approach as I think last year there were no positive findings across the club's member's samples (and the year before I think).

I plan to use Analytica in Hamilton which is $90/ sample - as I drive past their address every day. I've also used hill laboratories before, they gave a good service but seem a bit dearer. If anyone wants to compost samples with me ( urh ... I hope that sounded OK) let me know so we could reduce costs

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...