Bee (wasp) identification.

I have noticed these little fellows working around my garden.

They are very territorial and quite often give other insects the hurry up.

They work the flowers in much the same manner as bees but they are very much quicker.

They stick with the same flowers and seem to prefer the blue or purple coloured flowers.

Sorry the photos are not the best but even using the camera on high speed with multiple shutters actions it was difficult to get these.

They look like wasps but I think they are a bee (by their behaviour).

DSCF1230.JPG.f343b4e6b777a5430c56b60282769373.JPG

S0041249.JPG.240dd6e0b49a45d276913b08800cce61.JPG

S0051251.JPG.0c25070e8e74a7473d60aaf0b7d2de1d.JPG

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the one with the thin central stripe are the males and the ones with a thick stripe are females?

I also asked about these because I had never seen thim before this year.

My photos were badly blurred because the zippy little suckers did not want to sit still, but they're just good enough to see that the central stripe on the abdomen is quite a bit thicker:

NZBF: - Whats This Bug | Page 2 | NZ Beekeepers Forum post #33

I think that the one with the thin central stripe are the males and the ones with a thick stripe are females?

I also asked about these because I had never seen thim before this year.

My photos were badly blurred because the zippy little suckers did not want to sit still, but they're just good enough to see that the central stripe on the abdomen is quite a bit thicker:

NZBF: - Whats This Bug | Page 2 | NZ Beekeepers Forum post #33

I thought someone asked previously but i could not find it. Tricky ######s to photograph alright.

Big ones are the males. Little ones female.

I still have to do more research.

They arrived 2006/2007

How did they get here?

What good / harm do they do?

As frazz said. Is this another bio security stuff up?

• 1 year later...

I had one in the house a couple of weeks ago..it was mighty angry and was wasp coloured so I gave it the newspaper treatment...Kaapow :mask:! When I went to turf it out the window I was also struck with the "What the??" :what:..Googled it and agree - wool carder bee..Another illegal resident in NZ...Males are quite feisty from the sounds of it.