Can you identify Tutu if you see it?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Can you identify Tutu if you see it?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious. How big a health problem was tutin before the incidents in Gisborne? Was that the catalyst for making testing compulsory? I accept that tutin in concentration is harmful, just curious as to the probability of harm if no testing was done.

wasn't it Coromandel ?

testing was the result of that incident.

before that it was tutin was handled reasonably well. i think something like it was first case in 30 odd years and it took a newbie who was flowing a book (presumable not an NZ book) that didn't mention it, didn't belong to club, was selling comb honey (worse form for it) illegally, in one of the worse years for tutin poisioning.

however as beekeeping is now the latest craze, its just as well its tested as there is now tons of newbies out there who have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

My poor little brain finally twigged to something over the weekend (that's right mine just finished ) .. I realised that the same species of Tutu grows all over NZ, including Fiordland & Stewart Island. So the geographical spread of the Passion Vine Hopper must be the factor which determines the 42degree border in the tutin regs. A quick googling seems to support this, ie so far Scolypopa australis the hopper, is only found in the North Island & Nelson ....

So the geographical spread of the Passion Vine Hopper must be the factor which determines the 42degree border

True. Part of the 'geography' is vertical, the PVH eggs don't survive cold. One of the things the good folks that look after this have to look at is whether, in the central NI for example, altitude is a factor. Evidence suggests that no PVH over 450m-ish.

• Like 1