Can you identify Tutu if you see it?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Can you identify Tutu if you see it?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I don't think it's irresponsible at all.

It's irresponsible for anyone with beehives to not make it their business to know about it and to poison people.

It's not the tutus fault.

I think they should plant whatever it takes, I think everything should be planted in natives, I don't understand why we have so many exotic plants, I've done removal of weeds in reserves and its a b*tch of a job and I've done planting of natives.

At least they are putting effort in to some sort of restoration, it's about time.

• Like 3

Russel Barry said at the meeting everybody who harvested honey after the 5th of january should get it tested.

does that mean the cut off date has been extended, or is there a tolerance agreement i don't know about?

i always thought it is the first of Jan. it makes a huge difference to me.

here the tut had sap at around the 20th of jan already and this is a bit earlier than usual,

but i think it stopped short after. the bugs had left, too, i think. not 100% sure on that.

didn't pay much attention once i had my honey of.

As far as I'm aware the date is still the 31st dec.

Russell was just making sure people knew this is a HIGH risk year with the drought .

Heaps of hoppers now but no bees working tutu honey dew only wasps.

My bees are still getting a nice shake in the afternoon at present ,smells like penny royal

• 3 weeks later...

I've just come home from a very, very enjoyable holiday around the South Island and was amazed @ the amount of Tutu I saw. I guess I hadn't thought much about it being @ Milford Sound, Queenstown, Dunedin, Wanaka . . . .

The thing is there are heaps of "IMPORTED" just as toxic, some are toxic to bees, others to humans.

Just look up Oeleandar - All parts are toxic yet heaps of people have it in their gardens it's also in Council areas.

It's the passion vine hopper whose the culprit and problem not Tutu.

All parents should educate their toddlers about the dangers of eating tutu berries that the council grows. It would be irresponsible for them to remain ignorant of the dangers growing in the parks they frequent.

How many parents grow poisons around their back yard? I think it is irresponsible of the council to do the same, native or not. Councils are usually more health and safety conscious on these things

• 3 weeks later...
interesting! Have yet to see anything like that round here, hopefully never do

so i think I have seen it now, though a long way from here at home, in behind Mt Somers where i went tramping last weekend... I am fairly sure it is it, due to the square stems, no berries to be seen though. Didnt have a camera to take a piccie though.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...