bee sting home remedies

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes thinking a few beers may help as my eyelid is starting to swell now and i have a massive lump on my forehead

have you been stung recently, all fun aside noticing you are new here, please be aware that a very few people have adverse reactions to bee stings. If your reaction is all in the area you were stung that is one thing but if you are experiencing a reaction either more generalised or isolated from the sting site you may well be having a severe and possibly life threatening reaction that could affect such things as breathing, if in doubt please seek help,

• Like 2
A cold shower. My last sting I got 3 at the same time. My skin flared up with red rashes all over even with an anti-histamine.

"all over"? As in on body parts away from the sting site?

Gavin, that's an anaphylactic reaction.

Please be extremely careful - you need to have liquid antihistamine on hand and talk to your doctor about adrenaline as well. Your next reaction could be more significant, you need to be prepared.

No cure for stings.

Best to just not think about it, the pain goes away very quickly, I hardly notice them after a few minutes, mostly can't even remember where I've been stung, the more you get the more accustomed you become.

If you think you're allergic, get an epipen, $150 is a cheap price to pay comparatively. Even if you don't think you are, they are good things to have.

Best cure for a sting - Another one! Makes you forget about the last one lol... But yeah, systemic (not localised) reaction is not cool, DJC is right. Luckily we now have competition between anapen and epipen here so prices have come down a bit, now 125. Stupid thing is the adrenaline in it is a couple of dollars worth at most, that's the bit that expires but cant be replaced, so you have to chuck out the entire $120 injection mechanism....

• Like 1
Best cure for a sting - Another one! Makes you forget about the last one lol... But yeah, systemic (not localised) reaction is not cool, DJC is right. Luckily we now have competition between anapen and epipen here so prices have come down a bit, now 125. Stupid thing is the adrenaline in it is a couple of dollars worth at most, that's the bit that expires but cant be replaced, so you have to chuck out the entire $120 injection mechanism....
Better to have a vial of adrenalin and a small syringe. Cheap as then

Ideally, but you have got to be able to draw up the correct dose (with your mind going 100 miles/hour), swap your filter needle for an IM needle and administer the dose correctly. You need to practice these things regularly (like CPR) to be able to do them quickly and safely under stress. No idea how hard it is to get adrenaline amps if you are not in healthcare.... Shouldn't be too hard as they are standard emergency equipment in any ambulance/GP/ward/ED/nurses car in the country....

• Like 1
"all over"? As in on body parts away from the sting site?

Gavin, that's an anaphylactic reaction.

Please be extremely careful - you need to have liquid antihistamine on hand and talk to your doctor about adrenaline as well. Your next reaction could be more significant, you need to be prepared.

Thanks Deejaycee:)

At the time I was boardering on getting professional help. My top lip and chest swelled slightly. I put it down to the quantity of venom I got and that 1 of the stings maybe got a blood vessel. Things seemed to stabilise.

I have had a sting since then on my finger. I was nervous about it at the time, but it caused no problems.

At the moment I am in 2 minds about getting an epipen.

Ideally, but you have got to be able to draw up the correct dose (with your mind going 100 miles/hour), swap your filter needle for an IM needle and administer the dose correctly. You need to practice these things regularly (like CPR) to be able to do them quickly and safely under stress. No idea how hard it is to get adrenaline amps if you are not in healthcare.... Shouldn't be too hard as they are standard emergency equipment in any ambulance/GP/ward/ED/nurses car in the country....
You can buy then from chemist, but they are reluctant

:unsure:Thanks for the replies. My brother drove me into A&E last night as my eye lids were swelling. After taking a few different med's I had to wait around for hours. The swelling got worse before it got better. Left the hospital at midnight and slept until lunch time. Went back to A&E at 1pm and got more pills to take as both eyes are almost swollen shut. At least the pain is gone now tho! They tell me my next sting may be worse and require immediate attention. The bee didn't get into the suit, the mesh on the front of the mask is bowed in a little and it must have touched my forehead as the bee stung me. Bad luck to me. So 10 hours after the sting I look like I've done 5 rounds with Mike Tyson...

• Like 1
Thanks for the replies. My brother drove me into A&E last night as my eye lids were swelling. After taking a few different med's I had to wait around for hours. The swelling got worse before it got better. Left the hospital at midnight and slept until lunch time. Went back to A&E at 1pm and got more pills to take as both eyes are almost swollen shut. At least the pain is gone now tho! They tell me my next sting may be worse and require immediate attention. The bee didn't get into the suit, the mesh on the front of the mask is bowed in a little and it must have touched my forehead as the bee stung me. Bad luck to me. So 10 hours after the sting I look like I've done 5 rounds with Mike Tyson...
Yep, they do tell you it may get worse with every sting, because it may do. Can go either way, so move forward with caution. One of my kids is the same. Got a sting on the toe before I had bees. Swollen face 5 mins later and golf ball size lumps under armpits. Them ambulance to hospital. Was scary. He has not been stung since I got into bees, but we have the epipen and wait for the inevitable.............
:unsure:Thanks for the replies. My brother drove me into A&E last night as my eye lids were swelling. After taking a few different med's I had to wait around for hours. The swelling got worse before it got better. Left the hospital at midnight and slept until lunch time. Went back to A&E at 1pm and got more pills to take as both eyes are almost swollen shut. At least the pain is gone now tho! They tell me my next sting may be worse and require immediate attention. The bee didn't get into the suit, the mesh on the front of the mask is bowed in a little and it must have touched my forehead as the bee stung me. Bad luck to me. So 10 hours after the sting I look like I've done 5 rounds with Mike Tyson...

You definately need a Beer and all will feel better ;)