• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dragged out the bosses old nicot kit which has been gathering dust for the last 20 years.

gave it a shot. had trouble getting the queen to lay, but i did have to clean the gear which may have put her off.

made the hive temporally queenless for 24 hr and they started the cells ok. put pheromone board in and used an escape board to push the bees from a 4 box hive down to a 2 box hive. ie overcrowd it to induce swarm mode. but my escape board got clogged up and for a few days the hive was not all that well packed.

please excuse my last minute temp cell bars i whipped up.

hopefully not to bad for first attempt.

[ATTACH=full]3186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3187[/ATTACH]

I give u grief sometimes tristan but would enjoy catching up with u when u are up whangarei dealing to your yards even happy to "lift and throw" if you want, always appreciate your input to the forum even if I don't always agree, I do respect your passion.

• Like 2

thx phill :)

yes they have been making lots of comb. honey flow is on, that hive has drawn out 4 brand new frames and filled a few stickies while the queen making is going on.

i'm told that while the honey flow is on its not the best time to do queens. however this is a practice run so i'm not worried if thats true or not. whats more important to me is weather conditions and that mating will be far more successful in the good weather.

btw the cells have only just been capped.

• Like 1
thx phill :)

yes they have been making lots of comb. honey flow is on, that hive has drawn out 4 brand new frames and filled a few stickies while the queen making is going on.

i'm told that while the honey flow is on its not the best time to do queens. however this is a practice run so i'm not worried if thats true or not. whats more important to me is weather conditions and that mating will be far more successful in the good weather.

btw the cells have only just been capped.

we have about 30 grafts underway at present, starting to transition down from 2 brood box hives to one.

Is all that comb normal under the cells? Its not what I expected

Yep they draw combs around the cell when there a honey flow on

It is normally caused by crowding in the brood nest and/or a good nectar flow (or feeding too much syrup). It can be controlled by putting a foundation frame in the brood; I have used a style of frame with one cell bar and a half sheet of foundation which seems to work. In some frames you can get two bars and foundation in. Overcrowding the brood can be counterproductive, as is causes poor ventilation and many bees leave the broodnest. A box of drawn comb below can help given the extra bees somewhere to hang out. The webbing is a pain in the arse if you want to use the cells in cell protectors or when you're emerging into cages, but I've seen much, much worse. These don't look too bad at all.

• Like 2
Also, I've never fed squat to breeder hives, and I haven't noticed any poor queens, because I use grunty hives that have got plenty of resources and bees to do the job. I'm sure you need to feed if you use an average hive.

No need to feed if you are breeding smaller numbers on the flow and the hives are strong. Its a different matter if you are breeding super early or late and/or running large numbers of cells in each hive. That said it is small regular feeding rather than just dumping a full feeder in that works the best.

well i checked them today and a few where crowning (i think the term is) so they where ready to go out.

unfortunately they built a huge amount of comb around the cells. had a tricky job of cutting them out.

had a bunch of swarms and boxes of collected bees at the workshop so they all got cells put in them.

while i was working on them one of the queens had hatched into my cell raiser.

so i split that 3 ways.

now to wait and see if they take. gosh i feel like daley and her splits!

• Like 3
well i checked them today and a few where crowning (i think the term is) so they where ready to go out.

unfortunately they built a huge amount of comb around the cells. had a tricky job of cutting them out.

had a bunch of swarms and boxes of collected bees at the workshop so they all got cells put in them.

while i was working on them one of the queens had hatched into my cell raiser.

so i split that 3 ways.

now to wait and see if they take. gosh i feel like daley and her splits!

Heat a knife up it make it Easyer to cut the wax ( I use a candle )

• Like 3