Encouraging bees to cap honey

i also have been uncapping with a heatgun. its my first go at extracting so it's hard for me to compare, but it is very easy, quick, and clean so far. Only trouble i have with it is that if you are uncapping a frame that has some uncapped areas then the wax that makes up the cell walls melts very very quickly.

but ... 32kgs of honey and counting!

Very good Jerry.

Just take as much care as you can with the uncapped ones.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Trevor Gillbanks. Could you tell me what you mean by uncapping with a heatgun? Do you use it to heat a knife or directly tothe frame of honey?.

Directly to the frame. You need to experiment a bit to figure out how far away from the frame. I used full heat at about 300mm from the frame. I never thought to use the lower heat and maybe closer.

There is a video on this forum about using the heat gun. Try youtube to see it done.

Than

I extracted some honey on the weekend. 40kg

Protimeter showed 16%. Refrac showed 17% out of the bucket.

Uncapped on frame prot 17/18% refrac 18%

Capped prot 16% refrac 16%

So somewhere close. My Protimeter is not a very good one so I would not have expected results so close.

At $70.00 I will stick with the refractometer.

I found that you had to break the cell walls to get a good reading. But it was good to check if I could take the uncapped stuff.. Easy test to do in the field.

Thanks for that info. A protimeter I can justify for my building management business(tools, tax deductible) whereas a refactometer is not.

Than

Thanks for that info. A protimeter I can justify for my building management business(tools, tax deductible) whereas a refactometer is not.

"I need it to check the mess left on the bench by the tenant before I decide whether to use Jiff or something else to remove it...." Simple.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
By the way. I bought the refractor from Trademe for $63.00 (new) $6.90 for courier so $70.00 all up. Came with screwdriver, bioptic oil, refractor glass and a small pipette. Has the same scale as Dave's one. Better price the $190.00 from one of the suppliers plus GST, plus freight.

Unfortunately it came with the wrong instructions but Dave sorted me out there. Thanks Dave once again.

This was the trade me contact ## Brix Refractometer ATX 58-92% | Trade Me a good company to deal with. very prompt service.

Hey there Trevor - any chance you could scan & upload the instructions on how to calibrate the device? I got the same as the one you mention but the instructions are for a different scale (everything makes sense on the calibration, but no idea what the '0' would be yet)

thanks if so!

actually scratch that, figured it out. but i need to find some liquid that has the correct refractive index to calibrate it to :( zammit !

It should have come with the liquid and glass for testing/setting

Did it have the little eye dropper, piece of glass and a small bottle of liquid.

Put 1 drop of the liquid on the plattern, then place the glass on it and then have a look thru the refractor. You should see a small line around the 80/82 brix scale. It should be set to that lin e.