Hedges for bees and neighbours

Hi. I have a low wire mesh fence. My neighbor doesnt mind me having bees he actually sees the benefits of having bees for pollination of his garden. But sometimes he cant avoid being bothered when he's doing gardening and the bees are flying(making orientation flights , dearth periods, irritable bees etc.) Whats a good type of hedge plant that will benefit bees and also for the neighbor not to see your hives or your beekeeping activities? I would'nt want a hedge that would grow too big to shade the bees? any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Camellia . These are quite attractive to both humans and bees and stand pruning well. There are hundreds of varieties but the single flowers tend to be better for bees rather than the doubles. You could even plant tea bushes which are from the camellia family. Some camellias do grow into quite large trees but there are many cultivars that are a lot smaller. Another advantage of camellias is that they are low fire risk which is certainly important around this area. Our native Corokia is another possible choice.

• Like 1