Honey crops - world wide 2012/13

looks like Britan had a poor 2012 honey harvest off the back of the poor one here in NZ. Chris posted a link to the Victorian beekeepers association with dire predictions for thier honey harvest this year. Hows it going for the commercials this year? I know a number of hobbiests are getting a great harvst so far.

bbka_honey_survey_2012_national_press_release_1351590319.pdf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shaun, can you define surplus please, how much do you intend leaving for the bees ?

My plan is to have at least a half full 3/4 honey box left on each hive at the end of the season plus honey around the brood area. I also know that most of my apiaries have good winter foraging available and will not consume much of their stores till a bad weather period in the late spring.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone suggest a use for a full box of surplus honey that may or may not be tutinised ?

extract it and give a very small sample to the "mother 'n law if she goes a bit funny feed the rest back to the bees, if after she eats a couple of spoonfuls and doesn't go funny give it to those you like:mask:

extract it and give a very small sample to the "mother 'n law if she goes a bit funny feed the rest back to the bees, if after she eats a couple of spoonfuls and doesn't go funny give it to those you like:mask:

Been there, done that, on myself, twice, last year, felt funny both times. Thread somewhere. Don't feel like inflicting it on anyone else.

I don't need to feed anything back to the dratted apis, that's the problem, they're doing more than fine all by themselves.

If you are in Nelson have you seen any sign of bees working tutin or scolypopa on tutin because I haven't.

I'm not convinced. I never saw a bee on any kanuka all season, yet I have two boxes chocka of the stuff. My mate up the valley likewise crept about with binoculars, never saw bees on kanuka, yet he has boxes of the stuff.

• Like 1

Lucky you !

we have hives all through nelson and after testing we have predominantly kamahi honey with a bit of Kanuka through it. I wouldn't be sure you have much kanuka in your honey unless you have it tested.

But then if you're not selling it it dosn't matter what it is :)

I have yet to see a kamahi tree in the areas we have our hives .... so god knows where it's coming from.

It's actually really wierd I literally have not seen any kamahi in our area but we got a really high percentage of kamahi in our honey this year. We usually get an early crop of kamahi that we take off around Christmas but this year it just kept flowering :(

Well I'm still alive after the final large spoonful of the taste testing regime for my late harvest honey. It's been declared tutin free & safe to scoff. It's quite dark & thick & strong tasting, rather nice actually. Does anyone know what honey bottlebrush produces ? The neighbours have a great thicket of the stuff which has been flowering for ever.

Well I'm still alive after the final large spoonful of the taste testing regime for my late harvest honey. It's been declared tutin free & safe to scoff. It's quite dark & thick & strong tasting, rather nice actually. Does anyone know what honey bottlebrush produces ? The neighbours have a great thicket of the stuff which has been flowering for ever.
Nice work(y). Have you thought of becoming a full time honey tester :D