Plant identification request

Many years ago, about 40, while I was a stockman on a sheep station in the Wairarapa, we had scrub cutters not only cutting Manuka but also what we called Tawhine?? Not sure of the spelling etc, and unable to find it in all the native plant books I have. From memory it had a greyish leaf and yellow floretts. Softer wood than Manuka/Kanuka, qhite a spready bush, I suppose I never saw anything over about 2.5m tall

Anyone with any ideas???

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago, about 40, while I was a stockman on a sheep station in the Wairarapa, we had scrub cutters not only cutting Manuka but also what we called Tawhine?? Not sure of the spelling etc, and unable to find it in all the native plant books I have. From memory it had a greyish leaf and yellow floretts. Softer wood than Manuka/Kanuka, qhite a spready bush, I suppose I never saw anything over about 2.5m tall

Anyone with any ideas???

Obviously I cant find an exact match, otherwise you would have done the same. But going by similar sounds, I've got :

• Tawhirikaro
  • Tawapou
  • Toronia toru or Toru - A little known but very attractive small tree. Slow growing with narrow leathery leaves and compact bushy form. Looks good throughout the year. Very fragrant yellow flowers are produced abundantly in spring. Height 3m x Width 2m