URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I am at afterhours surgery and it has just been confirmed I have a broken hand and will need cast 6 weeks. ?????

My first concern is my bees. 

I am in Eyewell North Canterbury. Pix of my hives are on the forum.

Can anyone help me please?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a little far away to provide physical help, ie, not likely to get to your bees even if the border was open.  But, I can provide some 'been there' kind of experience to help you relax.  

I am sure someone will help.   But just incase not, what I did a few years back when I broke my hand was put a strong plastic bag over the cast and taped it up my arm. That was after exactly

@Wildflower I could put the boxes on your hives this weekend if needed. Eyrewell .. near ohoka and eyrewell forest?    

8 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

If hives all closed up they can look after themselves for 6 weeks, but with a broken hand (depending on how bad) youll be able to check them yourself in about 4 weeks

What do you mean by closed up? Should I be blocking entrances a little to reduce  chance of  robbing/ wasps etc.?

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

No he means they're all intact and not open with boxes spread everywhere. Ie nothing needs doing urgently.

Oh thankyou. No they are mostly good. Except I have 2 single boxes that will need another box,and I haven't figured out whether I can get beesuit on yet? The idea of a bee going into my cast is aweful.?

I am sure someone will help.

But just incase not, what I did a few years back when I broke my hand was put a strong plastic bag over the cast and taped it up my arm. That was after exactly what you were fearing happened to me, bees got up inside the cast. I can take a few stings, but not much fun when you can't get access to them to scrape them out ?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, WebKiwiNZ said:

@Wildflower I could put the boxes on your hives this weekend if needed. Eyrewell .. near ohoka and eyrewell forest?

Wow! Lovely offer. I would love that. Having said that,I am in a muddle. I have a spare 10 frame box and 5 xtra spare frames and a box with no handles!!! Hopeless!! .My plan was originally to steal from another hive that I was trying to transfer into FD. Then nearly broke my ankle... then hand. Sorry I am suddenly very overwhelmed and useless! We could at least put one box on? Check to see who is most desperate? I also have one hive that would love to see if they made a queen or not? Absolutely any help would be oh so appreciated. 

On 15/01/2021 at 12:17 AM, WebKiwiNZ said:

Tried to PM you but couldn't

Hopefully I haven't frightened you off! If you can be bothered to come out this way,you will need directions. Just Incase you decide yes here is my number

Edited by Grant
Phone number removed
3 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Tried to PM you but couldn't

Hopefully I haven't frightened you off! If you can be bothered to come out this way,you will need directions. Just Incase you decide yes here is my number 

I've txted. Tried pm as well but couldnt. I'm crap at spotting queens but can pull frames while you look. However if there are eggs, larvae etc that would indicate the queen... those I can spot :)

the box with no handles .. what if it becomes bottom brood box. Never shifted again. Put current brood box above it.  I think I have 4 spare frames .. never used. I could bring them out and make a 9 frame honey with your five spare frames. 

Edited by Grant
Phone number removed

You both have pm on the new forum, but rather than posting phone numbers in topics for everyone to see, you should be using your profiles please. This site rule is there for your protection

Glad to see you worked it out anyway