Honey crop, manuka in particular.

How’s everyone’s crop looking.

Ours is pretty rubbish .

The weather has been terrible for ages only just starting to get some heat some days.

lawns are still bright green and growing we’ve had so much rain and clag :( 

some areas haven’t really flowered after a massive flowering last season.

would be good to get an idea on what the commercial crop is going to look like this season.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that I have talked to about manuka has reported either not much or nothing, blaming either poor weather or poor flowering or both. Still a little bit of time for later areas but the weat

The manuka is flowering better here than I have seen it for yrs. But I have not heard if the bees have been collecting it . I have heard that it is pretty fussy about the conditions its nect

we’ve just started harvesting, early sites look to be 1/3 down on last year. Im not confident we’ll get mono this year. The manuka didn’t flower in the hills here at all. Down in the wet areas it was

Posted Images

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Ours is pretty rubbish .

The weather has been terrible for ages only just starting to get some heat some days.

would be good to get an idea on what the commercial crop is going to look like this season.

The manuka is flowering better here than I have seen it for yrs.

But I have not heard if the bees have been collecting it .

I have heard that it is pretty fussy about the conditions its nectar  flows in .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Ours is pretty rubbish .

Everyone that I have talked to about manuka has reported either not much or nothing, blaming either poor weather or poor flowering or both.

Still a little bit of time for later areas but the weather will need to get better. Overall I am thinking that the national manuka crop will be well down this year.

• Agree 2
6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Ours is pretty rubbish .

we’ve just started harvesting, early sites look to be 1/3 down on last year. Im not confident we’ll get mono this year. The manuka didn’t flower in the hills here at all. Down in the wet areas it was a strong flowering but kanuka had a good flowering everywhere. 

Time to tighten the belt I think. 

• Agree 1

PS .... Mr Blueskie?s suggested more of the same East coast cloud and drizzle for the next six weeks ..... lotsa rain north of Kaikōura , including NorthIsland ..... bit of sun on the coast.

Edited by jamesc
On 10/01/2021 at 2:11 PM, southbee said:

Yo Yo weather down here too, had awesome Rata flowering, but not so many days for the bees to get it. Still working on getting the crop in and hoping for some good weather for the clover....

On 10/01/2021 at 2:11 PM, southbee said:

Yo Yo weather down here too, had awesome Rata flowering, but not so many days for the bees to get it. Still working on getting the crop in and hoping for some good weather for the clover....

Pulled a heavy load of honey off coast bees last week.

Just hanging out for the sun in Canterbury.... 

Tipped 30 ml of rain out of the guage this morning.

3F6AB5E4-0DA8-466D-8492-94D9B611E0EE.jpeg

22 hours ago, jamesc said:

Pulled a heavy load of honey off coast bees last week.

Just hanging out for the sun in Canterbury.... 

Tipped 30 ml of rain out of the guage this morning.

3F6AB5E4-0DA8-466D-8492-94D9B611E0EE.jpeg

Can't see any big hole or a digger in the pic, suppose we're not getting a homogenising tank yet....

• Haha 1