We have an earwig population explosion at our place this year. Not only are the ######s decimating our Silverbeet, but they are also in my hives more than I've previously noticed. I happened to be watching a video on super storage from Ceracell's Bruce Clow last night where he recommended winter storing the boxes with bunches of Tansy to repel wax moth. This got me thinking about Tansy as a general pest treatment. I've come across a few interesting articles like the one below on Tansy use (they're mainly North American articles) and wonder if anyone has thoughts or experience from an NZ perspective. My wife planted some years back around our citrus trees to ward off bugs and I was thinking of trying a few sprigs between the hive lid and top cover as an experiment. Crushed some and they have quite a strong scent.

Thoughts?

BERKSHIREFARMSAPIARY.WORDPRESS.COM

It's late July and the bees are kicking into gear on the tansy. I never gave tansy much thought, in fact I never really took much notice of it at all until It started growing in my yard years before I kept bees. Tansy is...

• Like 2
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have an earwig population explosion at our place this year. Not only are the ######s decimating our Silverbeet, but they are also in my hives more than I've previously noticed. I happened to be wat

There's a number of plants you can use to repel insects from under your hive lids, but it's a never ending mission. Any nice safe sheltered place you put in your garden is likely to become host to any

There's a number of plants you can use to repel insects from under your hive lids, but it's a never ending mission. Any nice safe sheltered place you put in your garden is likely to become host to any number of insect species, and the gap under your hive lid is one of those places.

Me, if they are argentine ants in my hives I deal with them. Anything else I just shrug my shoulders and ignore them, live and let live.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1