Will bees kill wax moth?

Wildflower

Decided to get use of my last 10 old FD frames to make space in garage.

They had some honey and pollen in them and were stored in plastic container.

Plan is/was? to give them to my only hive that also has a full depth brood box to potentially sell it and get rid of FD gear.

When looking through frames I saw one giant moth larvae

(what ever you call it)and one small one. Pulled them off and dusted off small patch of webbing. Maybe an inch and half or so. Hoping bees clean up frames and Queen makes a good job of making it her second home so I can sell. (Cheap 'cause 10 of the FD frames are ugly looking)

Wondering if wax moth eggs are present on that frame? And can the bees keep that in check?

52 minutes ago, lexy said:

could chuck the frames in the freezer overnight before putting them on the hive

I actually thought I had frozen them?

8 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

If they have been in storage then possibly no more eggs. 

Light infestation of wax moth will get cleaned up by the bees. Unfortunately, if there is damage to the comb from the wax moth, then the bees will quite often make holes in the comb or make it into drone comb [damaged area]. What do you have to loose by trying it.

I have never seen the wax moth grub until now. Seen the damage though!

The BIG one was a beauty,huge beast head deeply buried in cell...and the little one? Well on it's way to being a big monster. Very little webbing. Hey. You are right. What do I have to lose? Will check out life cycle of wax moth and other than than keep an eye on hive. Thanks Trev. 

1 minute ago, Wildflower said:

I actually thought I had frozen them?

I have never seen the wax moth grub until now. Seen the damage though!

The BIG one was a beauty,huge beast head deeply buried in cell...and the little one? Well on it's way to being a big monster. Very little webbing. Hey. You are right. What do I have to lose? Will check out life cycle of wax moth and other than than keep an eye on hive. Thanks Trev. 

There are two type of wax moth in NZ.  Greater and lesser wax moth.  The lesser wax moth also eats wood and can be quite destructive.

Yes.  even if you have frozen the frames, the wax moth can get into pretty small spacers to re-infect the frames.  As @lexy said,  You could refreeze them to make sure you kill all the little beggars.

6 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

There are two type of wax moth in NZ.  Greater and lesser wax moth.  The lesser wax moth also eats wood and can be quite destructive.

Yes.  even if you have frozen the frames, the wax moth can get into pretty small spacers to re-infect the frames.  As @lexy said,  You could refreeze them to make sure you kill all the little beggars.

It's on the hive now Trev. Suspect lesser wax moth.

If I see destruction that the bees can't cope with. Then I will freeze the frame. This is where it is lucky to be just a hobbiest. 

• Agree 1