Pollenation Hives at horticulture courses garden

So I have a new neighbor, an organization has set up a training garden on land opposite my house and apairy.

I was asked if I could provide some hives for pollination, the garden is a pretty substantial enterprise.

I told them my bees would make it the 500m to pollinate but the organizers are still very keen.

What are the potential pitfalls here?

I am concerned that if I don't provide hives (which I am happy to do) someone else will and then I will less able to coordinate mite treatments etc, so pretty keen to move some of my hives there.

Edited by Sputnik
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a similar situation with a neighbour who is establishing an Avocado orchard. She asked if I would put hives on her property. The orchard is less than 800 metres from my current apiary and while

Potential for spray damage.   You need to talk to them.  So they understand what the bees require. Empty hives are not an option at the gardeners are not that stupid they would not see that there

the big issue is often people getting stung, especially after you have worked the hives. a lot of people do not seam to understand that you do not stand in their flight path. your better to

18 hours ago, Sputnik said:

So I have a new neighbor, an organization has set up a training garden on land opposite my house and apairy.

I was asked if I could provide some hives for pollination, the garden is a pretty substantial enterprise.

I told them my bees would make it the 500m to pollinate but the organizers are still very keen.

What are the potential pitfalls here?

I am concerned that if I don't provide hives (which I am happy to do) someone else will and then I will less able to coordinate mite treatments etc, so pretty keen to move some of my hives there.

the big issue is often people getting stung, especially after you have worked the hives.

a lot of people do not seam to understand that you do not stand in their flight path.

your better to place them off to side with a hedge etc so they will fly up above head height.

we get this situation quite a bit. every bloody neighbour wants a few hives, which is uneconomic.

sometimes they get their own and end up with a stack of dead outs in their back yard.

• Like 2
On 22/12/2020 at 8:05 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Potential for spray damage.   You need to talk to them.  So they understand what the bees require.

Empty hives are not an option at the gardeners are not that stupid they would not see that there are any 

Edited by Josh
Retracted