Bees being made redundant? Kiwifruit

So, trawling through some historic news.  Was funded in 2018...

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Researchers hope a new three-year study will mean reduced costs for kiwifruit growers.

Another article 2019

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/114762011/genetic-breakthrough-could-make-male-kiwifruit-redundant

Lol, the stuff article has video of kiwifruit growers growing dope...unrelated but highly entertaining.

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its the same old problem the bee industry has no/does not want, to spend money on research. There is millions of dollars out there for research but you got to have seed money to get any of it, and oth

18 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

So, trawling through some historic news.  Was funded in 2018...

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Researchers hope a new three-year study will mean reduced costs for kiwifruit growers.

Another article 2019

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/114762011/genetic-breakthrough-could-make-male-kiwifruit-redundant

Lol, the stuff article has video of kiwifruit growers growing dope...unrelated but highly entertaining.

Love the name "Friendly Boy" for the gene so they don't need males, there's lots of "friendly boys" in the human gene pool as well.

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Love the name "Friendly Boy" for the gene so they don't need males, there's lots of "friendly boys" in the human gene pool as well.

Yeah, creating girl\boy flowers.

So the kiwifruit industry thinks it innovative, no bees or artificial pollination required. No male pruning, and 10% more productive plants. 

Goes to show how thoughtless research can be. Goodbye Beekeepers... We fine now... thanks for you supported us...we doing better without you.. 

Shortsighted. And sad.

Hi Dennis, has APINz looked at this research? Are they aware of it?  Otago university got 1M for a 3yr study (2018). From government. 

The only beneficiaries, the kiwifruit growers and Intelligence Property owners. 

I am amazed it flew under the radar.

Let's hope it is a dud

If they really want to improve pollination they should breed  male flowers that look the same to the bees as female flowers. The other thing they could do is breed flowers that produce nectar. A lot of self fertile flowers still need pollination and many of them need cross pollination

22 minutes ago, john berry said:

If they really want to improve pollination they should breed  male flowers that look the same to the bees as female flowers. The other thing they could do is breed flowers that produce nectar. A lot of self fertile flowers still need pollination and many of them need cross pollination

I think it's the pollen quality that bees are attracted to. Hybrid clovers are common now, requiring less pollination.and probably not as bee friendly.

It bothers me, beehives cost the grower stuff all per hectare. But the research paid for by you and me, is aiming to remove us. 1M!! 

Progress. At what price. I am ranting, but imagine no beehives needed in kiwis in the future. I'd walk away and consequently no bees will sit on pasture to pollinate clovers

4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I think it's the pollen quality that bees are attracted to. Hybrid clovers are common now, requiring less pollination.and probably not as bee friendly.

It bothers me, beehives cost the grower stuff all per hectare. But the research paid for by you and me, is aiming to remove us. 1M!! 

Progress. At what price. I am ranting, but imagine no beehives needed in kiwis in the future. I'd walk away and consequently no bees will sit on pasture to pollinate clovers

Its the same old problem the bee industry has no/does not want, to spend money on research. There is millions of dollars out there for research but you got to have seed money to get any of it, and other industries have and they do research.

• Agree 1