Bees gathering in corners of outer frames

Go to solution Solved by Mummzie,

Question

Hi there, 

I am very new to bee keeping & I am just curious to find out why when I opened my hive yesterday, I found that a number of bees were gathering in the bottom corners of the outer frames within the brood box? Please see attached pictures.
There were also a number of bees on the brood box itself (on the inside), not on the frames. The hive looks to be healthy :) 

Thanks in advance! 

20201213_180531 1.jpg

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

It looks like you have just taken posession of a 5 frame nuc and it is now in a 10 frame box, with 5 frames of foundation. They will be exploring the increased space you have provided (and are as

Short answer, they've got to gather somewhere. As long as there's plenty of healthy eggs/brood and bees covering it, things are sweet.  

Posted Images

3 answers to this question

• Solution
12 hours ago, GeorgiaN said:

gathering in the bottom corners of the outer frames within the brood box?

It looks like you have just taken posession of a 5 frame nuc and it is now in a 10 frame box, with 5 frames of foundation.

They will be exploring the increased space you have provided (and are assessing the amount of work there is to be done).

Its common for there to be bees on the walls of the hive box. As your hive grows you will find that space where there aren't bees is less common than places where they are.

Enjoy your bees, relax, they know what they are doing.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, yesbut said:

Short answer, they've got to gather somewhere. As long as there's plenty of healthy eggs/brood and bees covering it, things are sweet.

Man! We can stress!

Us bee lovers 

( especially us youngsters at this journey) We can stress over sooo many things!  Eggs brood yep. That's what we need... wish my lovely new virgin Queen was laying....Nah! Looks like it's the oldie Q hanging in there and NOT laying and NOT letting the bees move on. Then I get to have grumpy hive.  Bee keeping can be stressful?

Still addicted...WHY?