How many real beeks get grumpy hives?

Wildflower

21 hours ago, john berry said:

You could for instance kill your aggressive Queen and then go through the hive seven days later and destroy every single queen cell. Then place a brood frame with some eggs from your quietest hive and you would have about an 80% chance of ending up with a reasonable Queen.

My poor nice Queen has been well stolen from this season.

But with knowledge learned,

I will never put up with grumpy hives again.? Dealing to those Queens. Aiming to get some decent stock happening. ?

• Like 1

Hmmm ..... when I first started beekeeping here my boss wore shorts and a home made veil with a hole in it for his roly smoke. He wore an old woollen beanie, and when the going got tough pulled on his painters dungarees.

I'm telling yah ..... they were tough back then !

• Like 2

This season one of my best hives turned grumpy, very grumpy. I bought in 10 lovely autumn mated queens and after dispatching said grumpy hive queen and leaving for half a day, popped a new queen in her cage in with high hopes. Sadly it was not to be, it was the only one in ten not accepted☹☹. Long story short the queen they raised became a drone layer, which I finally found this week and took great pleasure in grinding underfoot. Popped a thriving nuc with new queen on top last night with newspaper, air freshener and great trepidation???will be leaving for quite some time before checking, which will be rather hard as like you, I find it hard to resist a peek?.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Philippa Thomas said:

This season one of my best hives turned grumpy, very grumpy. I bought in 10 lovely autumn mated queens and after dispatching said grumpy hive queen and leaving for half a day, popped a new queen in her cage in with high hopes. Sadly it was not to be, it was the only one in ten not accepted☹☹. Long story short the queen they raised became a drone layer, which I finally found this week and took great pleasure in grinding underfoot. Popped a thriving nuc with new queen on top last night with newspaper, air freshener and great trepidation???will be leaving for quite some time before checking, which will be rather hard as like you, I find it hard to resist a peek?.

Good luck and don't peep.?

• Haha 1