The Pork Industry Board and the National Beekeepers' Assn...

Here's one I've just figured out...

For most of my earlier years in the industry, the National Beekeepers' Assn had admin, accounting, and Executive Secretary services provided by the Pork Industry Board.  For my first conference, 1975, Graham Beard was the Exec Secy, followed by David Dobson, and then Steuart Goodman.  All up, the NBA worked with the Pork Board for about 20 years...

Whenever anyone would ask "Why does the Pork Industry Board" do the admin stuff for the NBA, I had always assumed it was just some other primary producer body who saw the chance to take on an outside contract...

But I think I've figured it now.  There was already a long standing connection for the PIB to the honey industry!

Graham Beard was the connector.  In his younger days, Beard qualified in his early life as a cheesemaker ("Blessed are the cheesemakers!").  By the late 1940s, he was working for Marketing Dept (in earlier years, known as the Internal Marketing Division), and served as one of the government representatives on the Honey Marketing Committee.  

ANYWAY... 

When the Honey Marketing Authority came into being in 1953/1954, with the Govt clearly signalling that it no longer wanted hands-on involvement in honey marketing, civil servants such as Graham Beard went often to something similar to what they were already doing, with with an industry authority, or a board, or some such.  A.C. Bridle, the chairman of the Honey Marketing Committee, for instance, went to work with poultry marketing.  Beard went to work as the superintendent and chief technical officer for the Pig Producers' Council, which later became the Pork Industry Board.

From 1953 to 1974, over the next 21 years, he worked for the Pork Industry Board.  And then, in late 1974, the Pork Industry Board took on the NZ Beekeeper's Association, after the previous Executive Secretary gave notice.  Graham Beard must still have had some friends and interests in the beekeeping industry!

And a year or so later, Beard ended as the NBA's Executive Secretary (retired?) and David Dobson, of the PIB, took over.  And then in 1983 or so Steuart Goodman became the Executive Secretary, to be followed by Ron Rowe, Harry Brown, Tim Leslie and ultimately oblivion for the NBA...

• Like 3
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Popular Posts

Here's one I've just figured out...   For most of my earlier years in the industry, the National Beekeepers' Assn had admin, accounting, and Executive Secretary services provided by the Pork