Looking to talk to someone who has commercial queen rearing experience?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took 33 summers to get to this stage.I always was a slow learner.

Been having a think about your post @Jay Ngatai .....and concluded that you need to do one of @Maggie James courses ..... and then find a job raising queens for a commercial operation where you will e

Read, read, READ!  Listen, listen, LISTEN! Practise, practise, PRACTISE!  Believe, believe, BELIEVE! Network, network, NETWORK! To be lucky you need to be GOOD!  To be good you need to be LUCKY!.  

Posted Images

On 7/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, Maggie James said:

Read, read, READ!  Listen, listen, LISTEN! Practise, practise, PRACTISE!  Believe, believe, BELIEVE! Network, network, NETWORK! To be lucky you need to be GOOD!  To be good you need to be LUCKY!.  

Or just put an add in any beekeeping publication or social media platform, and tell people you a queen breeder and let the money roll in. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Or just put an add in any beekeeping publication or social media platform, and tell people you a queen breeder and let the money roll in. 

This happen at my place - new beekeeper, few years in beekeeping and was selling - queens from selection. At same time having couple hives. No need to mention, he is not in beekeeping any more - not easy money as he thought I believe.

I have decent stock, but still don't think that justify to go into it. Logistics, inputs, labor, organization is high and outputs are low ( low price for queens). At the other hand I saw a lot new queen breeders, but also a lot of complaints on queen quality. This way they shoot themselves in a leg cause most of beeks I know stopped buying and grow their own queens..

• Agree 2
On 6/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, Jay Ngatai said:

hi there, is anyone able to give me some advice on starting up a queen rearing business? 

Have you reared any Queen's? 

As I understand it,we can all try to rear a Queen . Or rear many if we wish?

But to do it well, not only takes a lot of practice,plus also ownership of decent breeding stock to work with.

If you are sold on the idea, then Jamesc has a good idea to first train then work commercially before going alone. If of course you can find the employment. And once going it alone, you need good stock,fast delivery when demand is there,and to build yourself a reputation. 

All of course takes time.

If however you are happy to just earn a few extra dollars,whilst earning money elsewhere, you certainly will find there are people around that will need mated Queens here and there. No fast track to this one.

29 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Those canvas seat covers are great ours have completely died anyone know where to get them from ?

BLACKDUCK.CO.NZ

We have a range of canvas seat covers, mudgrabba floors mats and other vehicle accessories...

Just now, Gino de Graaf said:
BLACKDUCK.CO.NZ

We have a range of canvas seat covers, mudgrabba floors mats and other vehicle accessories...

I find them a bit cool/sweaty. Now use simple grey wool type, warm and breathable.

7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Those canvas seat covers are great ours have completely died anyone know where to get them from ?

There’s another outfit does them too pretty sure they’re up your way.. Cant quite remember there name at the mo.. blackducks are the ducks nuts tho.. they will hold a half litre of water on the passenger seat no problem..! 

Yes, I've been quite impressed with the cell raising this year, but the reality is that this is the quality and quantity  a commercial would expect when paying someone to raise queens for them day in day out for a couple of months.

Highly stressful I'd expect !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yes, I've been quite impressed with the cell raising this year, but the reality is that this is the quality and quantity  a commercial would expect when paying someone to raise queens for them day in day out for a couple of months.

Highly stressful I'd expect !

Looks good, and yes producing queens on the dot can be stressful. I'm lucky that I got my two younger sons helping with that part. Young, sharp eyes, great for grafting. And I hope not too stressful for them...., but then they don't do it as a job. But they produced all our queens this season so far and any spare ones they can sell to hobbyists in the area, which works out good, as there's no queen breeders around where we are. Keeps my head clear for the rest of the hives and the boys away from the computer...

• Like 4