AFB Levy increase What do you think Good Bad or something else

morporks

1 hour ago, morporks said:

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the AFB levy increase just announced

Well it's only a 27% increase.....

I knew price would increase, but in smaller increments? That was my understanding of it a year ago. 

I haven't seen any changes/difference in the delivery personally. No hives been randomly checked. And really unsure how honey sampling of packed honey would help. I mean a Batch may contain many individual suppliers. 

There will probably be a sudden contraction of hive numbers....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hey @Gino de Graaf did you sell your honey from last year ?

That's a negative. Taking a leave out of James C's Book of Optimism. Money under the mattress. Not looking to produce any this season.

Weird aye. I do wonder if more like me are considering a heavy hive versus a box of non Manuka. I prefer a solid beast, no feeding, until my next pollination return. Be super tight dutchy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

for hobbyists like me, i can see no material direct downside to me resulting from the change, and plenty of possible direct upsides. Possible indirect downside, but that's very speculative.

I can see that the impact could be quite different for people with more than a handful of hives, but will avoid commenting on that in favour of letting people who actually have a clue on that front do the talking.

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you mean actual hive numbers or reported numbers

probably both.

plenty of people getting out of beekeeping and others downsizing. will be interesting to see the next hive number figures.

also interesting to see how that effects the revenue gathered from the levy.

i support the levy. we need boots on the ground keeping afb and problem beeks in check.

very easy for beeks to walk away and cause massive problems for everyone else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morporks said:

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the AFB levy increase just announced

It should just increase for those with AFB problems, why sting the rest of us who do our part to destroy it and catch it before it spreads.

Should be massive fines for those who have full blown AFB and havent found it in the early stages, especially if found dead!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

It should just increase for those with AFB problems, why sting the rest of us who do our part to destroy it and catch it before it spreads.

Should be massive fines for those who have full blown AFB and havent found it in the early stages, especially if found dead!

Those with massive  AFB probs aint gonin to pay. If they have a massive AFB problem they arnt doin things right to begin with. And usually thats because there either stupid or broke. Or both. ...... Touch wood.

• Like 2

I wonder if the hive levy is going up because the anticipated hive numbers and subsequent take is dropping.

And yes , I'm with @Gino de Graaf ....a heavy hive going into winter is a nice feeling.

We toyed with taking all the honey last year when a man was looking for 320 tonnes of Dew. But we left it on the hive ..... wise move as we would have been chasing our tails trying to keep the bees alive with sugar syrup and raw since mid September ..... and that is no fun !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a game of 2 halves. The Manuka producers and all others. One half spends the other is in holding pattern. Bit like how costs affect the low income more than the richer.

And Apinz is pretty well all wealthy  Manuka folk. And more influencial. So an increase for them is ok. 

So Farmlands put out a regular magazine. Last one showcasing beekeeper in the Manuka. It's just rude. I plan to stand in Apinz next time round....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We are the same @jamesc we don’t put hives into honey areas until the kamahi is finished and we leave the honeydew on for the bees at the end of the season.

No point in harvesting non manuka because the per kg price barely covers the expenses.

it means our production has been halved and we have downsized in hive numbers by half.

Hmmm .... I think I would prefer to build bees on a free feed, with the option that excess spring honey might contribute to expenses ....

Old Whitecliffs proverb say 'A full drum in the shed is worth thirty empty ones'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

one thing is that those with problems may not be the one who caused it.

other issue is if you hit them to hard is they start actively avoiding detection/inspection etc and make the situation far worse.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... I think I would prefer to build bees on a free feed, with the option that excess spring honey might contribute to expenses ....

Old Whitecliffs proverb say 'A full drum in the shed is worth thirty empty ones'.

if you are processing and storing your own honey it’s definitely worth harvesting the early honey but if paying for those services not so much 

• Agree 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:00 AM, Gino de Graaf said:

It's a game of 2 halves. The Manuka producers and all others. One half spends the other is in holding pattern. Bit like how costs affect the low income more than the richer.

And Apinz is pretty well all wealthy  Manuka folk. And more influencial. So an increase for them is ok. 

So Farmlands put out a regular magazine. Last one showcasing beekeeper in the Manuka. It's just rude. I plan to stand in Apinz next time round....

Go for it I would vote for you, my three year term is coming to an end and I am thinking of not re-standing, a fresh set of eyes and ideas is always good.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:59 AM, YTB8TA270 said:

Those with massive  AFB probs aint gonin to pay. If they have a massive AFB problem they arnt doin things right to begin with. And usually thats because there either stupid or broke. Or both. ...... Touch wood.

Might be a good way to get the undesirables out of the industry!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

Go for it I would vote for you, my three year term is coming to an end and I am thinking of not re-standing, a fresh set of eyes and ideas is always good.

What commitment does it involve? 

Number of meetings? Travel? Personal costs? Time...

You did it as a lone operator?  How much impact on your business.

When you get an AFB hive there is considerable cost involved. It's not just the loss of the hive that has to be burnt.

You have to go and collect the hive. Usually several hours minimum.

You have to burn the hive and that can take all day when you could be doing something else.

Round here you have to get a fire permit and that is an enjoyable and frustrating minimum half-hour on the computer.

Then there is the extra time spent checking remaining hives and neighbouring apiarys.

Loss of crop including loss of crop from other hives in the apiary because they have not been evened up properly as swapping brood between hives is not a good idea when there is an AFB outbreak.

If most of the AFB you get is domestic AFB from within your own outfit then you probably won't see much benefit from the levy increase but if the only AFB you get is from someone else then I really do believe you will see an actual cost benefit from the increase .

Good beekeepers are not subsidising bad beekeepers. 

They are paying someone to protect them from  bad beekeepers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2