December 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straining the last of my sticky Xmas gift from my bees. Means not much to many  but heaps to me. Can't bare wasting a scrap. Every drop is a bees hard work.  Just the last slow dribble to wo

Took my Year 10 class out to the hive on thursday. Was interested to see how they are going as it has been very wet down here in the South.  A huge change from the perpetual drought of south canterbur

My dad and kid were on the property when happen second one today. Dad thought our barn will fall apart, but somehow it withstood. Where I work, whole building got cracks in concrete floors, walls, but

Posted Images

On 23/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, Goran said:

Forgot sold all the honey for decent price, if increase own consumption of honey, I will have to buy from local beeks who still have little honey left - that ALSO I wish You all the same..

Hey are you ok .

Did any of yours hive get tipped over .

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

It’s blimmen freezing here so tempted to light the fire the past few nights.

not honey weather that’s for sure.

? Should move to the Sunny Westcoast. Hot as hell here. Just put another FD box of mostly undrawn frames on my largest hive yesterday. Had 3 FDs and a 3/4 on it and had a look yesterday and there packed full. Other hives have 3 boxes on and am putting an extra box on 5 of those to. Bees are now on the Rata,Flax and Some Clover now that the Kamahi's finished. Goin to be a nice tasti honey i thinks.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Hey are you ok .

Did any of yours hive get tipped over .

When I thought this year is finally over we got 2 earthquakes ( 5,2 and 6,2 Richter) some 70km away from us, also some minor ones.. We did got shook but so far I must be quiet. Near the epicenter, these people were hit bad, this second which happen today took some lives unfortunately.. We have few more days in 2020., so this might not be over yet ?

• Sad 8
53 minutes ago, Goran said:

When I thought this year is finally over we got 2 earthquakes ( 5,2 and 6,2 Richter) some 70km away from us, also some minor ones.. We did got shook but so far I must be quiet. Near the epicenter, these people were hit bad, this second which happen today took some lives unfortunately.. We have few more days in 2020., so this might not be over yet ?

70klm is not very far away .

In NZ you can still get a lot of damage that close .

I suppose it depends on how the fault lines in your area are arranged .

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

70klm is not very far away .

In NZ you can still get a lot of damage that close .

I suppose it depends on how the fault lines in your area are arranged .

My dad and kid were on the property when happen second one today. Dad thought our barn will fall apart, but somehow it withstood. Where I work, whole building got cracks in concrete floors, walls, but supports seems remained whole.. Yesterday it lasted couple seconds, today about 30 secs..

• Sad 9
22 hours ago, Goran said:

When I thought this year is finally over we got 2 earthquakes ( 5,2 and 6,2 Richter) some 70km away from us, also some minor ones.. We did got shook but so far I must be quiet. Near the epicenter, these people were hit bad, this second which happen today took some lives unfortunately.. We have few more days in 2020., so this might not be over yet ?

Hi Goran - There was quite a bit of footage on the TV news last night re Croatia and the quakes.  Fingers crossed for you.  I know what constant earthquakes are like, and how suddenly everything can look like a war zone. And on top of this your country has the Covid issue.  Keep Safe & Take Care.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
14 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m working on it :)

The Coast is my favourite place in the world.

I know people who have sold up in nelson area and moved to the coast and ended up with no mortage and money in the bank .

But houses you could buy for $250,000 three yrs ago are $400,000 now .

• Agree 1