December 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

13 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We've had almost 120mm of rain in the last few days ..... it's pounding down on the roof again tonight.

If I was a bee I'd be bunkered down

Worried where my next feed was coming from.

If I was the Keeper, I'd be hunkered down with a cold one ,

Wondering where the next one was coming from.

Oh what the heck 

Grab the bottle

By the neck

Drink her dry

For sure as heck

Next week we'll fry

And break a sweat

Lifting boxes in the sun

Hanging out for a coldee

When we're done.

Enjoy the hunker

In yer bunker

place the bottle on the bench

When ya sunk'er.

'Aint nothing like a WakaChanga

Where's that verse from jamesc? Yours? 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straining the last of my sticky Xmas gift from my bees. Means not much to many  but heaps to me. Can't bare wasting a scrap. Every drop is a bees hard work.  Just the last slow dribble to wo

Took my Year 10 class out to the hive on thursday. Was interested to see how they are going as it has been very wet down here in the South.  A huge change from the perpetual drought of south canterbur

My dad and kid were on the property when happen second one today. Dad thought our barn will fall apart, but somehow it withstood. Where I work, whole building got cracks in concrete floors, walls, but

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mummzie said:

absolutely out of the box. You would have gone to the beach this morning . Himself went to golf. Its sunshine and blue sky again now.

Our cucumbers are lacework and some of the chillis have no leaves left.

This will have obliterated the berry fruit harvest and probably written off much of the apple and pears. What an end to 2020 for those farmers.?

How far did the hail band extend.

These bands are very patchy .

I heard it was not around hills .

2 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Missed this bit. WARM schnapps? Like a mulled wine? 

Damn. Sounds nice. ( Sorry ......bee forum!!)

Something like that, but hits instant. Some people which can't controll themselves end under the table fast.. In cold days it warms you fast and relax. I rather take schnapps than pills..

This autocorrect on mobile phone is killing me, it changes all I write to something else.. have to check all I wrote..

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
4 hours ago, Mummzie said:

absolutely out of the box. You would have gone to the beach this morning . Himself went to golf. Its sunshine and blue sky again now.

This will have obliterated the berry fruit harvest and probably written off much of the apple and pears. What an end to 2020 for those farmers.?

Maybe it is too late, but this is what I use: 

https://www.greenhasitalia.com/fertilizers/drin/

14 hours ago, Mummzie said:

Storms like that are so frustrating, do so much damage. Hope your plants recover! For a change we have missed the worst down here in the deep south, had it cold for a couple of days, which was good to start the extracting. But yesterday afternoon the sun came out and today looks fine....might have to do some 'real' work.

• Like 1

Had a cruise round today checking hives. Coastal hives have been doing okay but the rest are pretty disappointing. Still some life in the clover but it doesn't seem to have yielded much.

Can't help feeling that the season is going to be a bit of a flop but it's a bit too soon to give up yet.

Cold, windy and dry today.

• Agree 1

Been a real dog of a season here in Upper Hutt so far (certainly out here in the side valleys). Our season is normally later than the rest of the North Island, but with the horrid weather we've had lately, the poor girls are struggling to get out to forage. Just come back from inspecting the hives and it looks like we're a few weeks behind where we were last few years.

At least food is bountiful when they can get out. We have a large bank of dog rose and St John's Wort at our place and the honeys and bumbles are loving it!

IMG_0304.JPG

• Like 3
18 hours ago, john berry said:

Had a cruise round today checking hives. Coastal hives have been doing okay but the rest are pretty disappointing. Still some life in the clover but it doesn't seem to have yielded much.

Can't help feeling that the season is going to be a bit of a flop but it's a bit too soon to give up yet.

Cold, windy and dry today.

Its been unusually cold here lately .

I have not had a swim yet , not even tempted .

Thats how I measure how warm the summer is , by when I go swimming .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24-27 Dec (incl) we received 48 mm rain with day time temps of 8.  Yesterday no rain, but can see snow on the Alps, and we have got the cold beasterly easterly.  Parked the vehicle not too close to hives, but they still decided to dump three days of evacuations on it!  Heavy duty car wash required.  

• Like 2

Just catching up on this thread. Re the AFB and glyphosate testing issue, my honey buyer has said that all honey will be tested for AFB and for glyphosate. Honey with AFB will not be purchased, cos they don't want it rejected after it gets to China. Honey with glyphosate might be purchased, however they can't send it to Japan, so the extra hassle of having to worry about that may reduce what the honey is worth.

I spray around my hives with roundup, so, gonna have to move to something else, probably more dangerous. However this seasons crop, about to be harvested, it will be interesting to see if any glyphosate is detected as I've sprayed around them this season in the normal way.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2