Jump to content

December 2020 Apiary Diary


Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

A hive that size is bigger than the pauperish things I manage to maintain. I was curious to know if you already had a couple of full boxes of honey, or if you had a heap of brood, but never mind.

Its 2 brood boxes. With very little honey in the brood. Plenty of pollen.

Most of the frames in brood box have brood at different stages. There was about 2 frames ready to lay in the rest was full.

 

I put on the 5th super yesterday. Which was 4 drawn and 5 un drawn

 

The other 4 boxes are chocker full of honey and over 75% capped.  I think they weigh a touch over 40kgs.

 

If I wasn't going away I'd be trying to extract a couple of boxes.

 

Last year this hive drew out 4 boxes of frames and I got 30+kg of honey off it. And its the same queen as last year I'm pretty sure. (I haven't actually sighted her for over a month)

 

Hopefully that's a more suitable answer  @yesbut

Edited by BRB
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straining the last of my sticky Xmas gift from my bees. Means not much to many  but heaps to me. Can't bare wasting a scrap. Every drop is a bees hard work.  Just the last slow dribble to wo

Took my Year 10 class out to the hive on thursday. Was interested to see how they are going as it has been very wet down here in the South.  A huge change from the perpetual drought of south canterbur

My dad and kid were on the property when happen second one today. Dad thought our barn will fall apart, but somehow it withstood. Where I work, whole building got cracks in concrete floors, walls, but

Posted Images

we are still extracting flat out. darn beeks keep dropping honey off ?. trying to get it done before xmas.

its been unusual season so far. first time that i've actually done very little bee work. i have no idea what the hives are like.

looking forward to some recovery time especially with cold ones and family.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A wee bit of drama here the past few weeks in our bit of Upper Hutt paradise. Got a notification two weeks back from the Management Agency that there was an AFB case within 2 kms of us and that they were doing mandatory inspections of all apiaries in the area. This notification came while I was working through a diagnostic process with one of my hives that was foremost on my mind. A previously strong hive had gotten slow and groggy; just not happy and healthy. 

 

I re-queened the hive, did all my disease, mite and health checks, changed out old brood boxes with new, replaced (and burned) old frames in the hive, normal spring treatment, treated again with ApiLifeVar when the temperature rose...all to no avail.

Mite levels weren't high from alcohol test, no fully presenting sign of AFB, hmmmm...

 

Thought I'd give the hive one last smash so ordered some Formic Pro. Ouch on price, but it read up like a good emergency mitigation. Applied it to the hive on the same day I received the Management Agency notification so lots of speculation was going through my head.

 

Removed the Formic Pro treatment the day before the Management Agency inspection (I had briefed the inspector on my hives' health a few days before) and was pleasantly surprised to find a bounced back, happier hive! Inspection was all-clear and that hive is rapidly growing in strength.

 

So, an interesting case study for me on the use of Formic Pro as a treatment. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We got the first day extracting behind us and I changed my mind for my dream honey house I don't want an uncapper anymore, I'll keep my boys on the electric plane for uncapping and things are fine! They've done a fine job today ?Weather is rather challenging down here, we got a nice Rata flowering and if it stops raining it'll be great. But I agree with @jamesc and @tristan, looking forward to a relaxing Christmas day with good food and good drink and no work, after that, we'll be back on the job. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/12/2020 at 5:55 AM, BRB said:

Its 2 brood boxes. With very little honey in the brood. Plenty of pollen.

Most of the frames in brood box have brood at different stages. There was about 2 frames ready to lay in the rest was full.

 

I put on the 5th super yesterday. Which was 4 drawn and 5 un drawn

 

The other 4 boxes are chocker full of honey and over 75% capped.  I think they weigh a touch over 40kgs.

 

If I wasn't going away I'd be trying to extract a couple of boxes.

 

Last year this hive drew out 4 boxes of frames and I got 30+kg of honey off it. And its the same queen as last year I'm pretty sure. (I haven't actually sighted her for over a month)

sounding good! 40kg sounds fairly heavy, i've had some pretty full boxes that made my body protest a bit, but hope not to encounter anything that weights that much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EmmetHuttValley said:

. This notification came while I was working through a diagnostic process with one of my hives that was foremost on my mind. A previously strong hive had gotten slow and groggy; just not happy and healthy. 

 

I re-queened the hive, did all my disease, mite and health checks, changed out old brood boxes with new, replaced (and burned) old frames in the hive, normal spring treatment, treated again with ApiLifeVar when the temperature rose...all to no avail.

Mite levels weren't high from alcohol test, no fully presenting sign of AFB, hmmmm...

what was the rationale behind burning the old frames?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the chiropractor on the weekend.

Same old story ..... RSI in the lower back from bending and lifting and a pain in the hips.

 

My Chiropracter is  a nice lady ......Her name is  Suzi.

 

Suzi has four wheels , and on the weekend we had an intimate  relationship when I dropped her front wheels into a deep rut on the the hill and she threw me off.

The secret to getting out of a quad bike roll  is to jump off the top side. My foot sort of fiddled and as Suzi did the death roll I jumped free with the wrenching sound of torn something in the knee.

 

Great. Peak workload and I've scrunched a knee.

 

Two days later and a couple of Voltaren, the knee has come right . Strangely enough, so too has the lower back.

I quite like Suzi ..... just gotta teach her a few manners.

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, tommy dave said:

same general situation as the background hive in this pic, but full depth rather than 3/4. And painted boxes. I'll try and enlist a photographer for the community garden stack situation next time i go through them.

useless pic for @jamesc taken today, should give the general idea. Getting close to my height limit for working safely. Ten undrawn full depth frames in the stack, and another about half a box of frames not yet filling up. A lot of nectar and capped honey on board. Pohutukawa has kicked off. Will be taking honey off it rather than going any higher...

 

 

general-idea-height-bee-stack-pic-23-dec-2020.PNG

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, nikki watts said:

we’ve had one company that buys a small amount of our honey ask us to sign a supply doc stating we won’t site our hives within 6km of any area that uses glyphosate. i realise i could just sign and say as far as we know that the case but that’s not how his contract is worded and i’m not keen to sign something knowing i can’t be 100% sure,  i don’t control what others do on their own land.

There were other things like not feeding any syrup and not moving hives just to get a crop.  

i think it’s just a feel like good marketing doc to show potential buyers. When  i questioned how any beek could sign the agreement i was told plenty have.

 

 

Was this by any chance similar or related to these guys? Great Barrier gets mentioned specifically.

I did a search and couldn't find anything already mentioned about End of the World, nor Paul, Art and Carl. Maybe they are on here??

I would have thought some of their claims went pretty close to the edge; legally speaking(?).

But then again anything can be true on facebook.

 

WWW.INDIEGOGO.COM

Ethically & sustainably sourced Manuka Honey from New Zealand set out to plant trees and save bees.

 

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I would have thought some of their claims went pretty close to the edge; legally speaking(?).

But then again anything can be true on facebook.

Agree. And all sorts of people with very strange values live in Queenstown.

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

 

Was this by any chance similar or related to these guys? Great Barrier gets mentioned specifically.

I did a search and couldn't find anything already mentioned about End of the World, nor Paul, Art and Carl. Maybe they are on here??

I would have thought some of their claims went pretty close to the edge; legally speaking(?).

But then again anything can be true on facebook.

 

WWW.INDIEGOGO.COM

Ethically & sustainably sourced Manuka Honey from New Zealand set out to plant trees and save bees.

 


geez what a crock of .....

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Irony? I have some hives at the end of a dead end road, only three landowners within several km. Farm manager of the land across the road (great guy) advised that some hives recently installed on land he manages have been knocked over by stock. He got in touch in case they were mine, landowner didn't give him the details. I'll go check tomorrow I guess, sort them if needed, maybe even track down the owner and let them know

Link to post
Share on other sites

absolutely out of the box. You would have gone to the beach this morning . Himself went to golf. Its sunshine and blue sky again now.

Our cucumbers are lacework and some of the chillis have no leaves left.

This will have obliterated the berry fruit harvest and probably written off much of the apple and pears. What an end to 2020 for those farmers.?

  • Agree 1
  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had almost 120mm of rain in the last few days ..... it's pounding down on the roof again tonight.

 

If I was a bee I'd be bunkered down

Worried where my next feed was coming from.

If I was the Keeper, I'd be hunkered down with a cold one ,

Wondering where the next one was coming from.

 

Oh what the heck 

Grab the bottle

By the neck

Drink her dry

For sure as heck

Next week we'll fry

And break a sweat

Lifting boxes in the sun

Hanging out for a coldee

When we're done.

 

Enjoy the hunker

In yer bunker

place the bottle on the bench

When ya sunk'er.

 

'Aint nothing like a WakaChanga

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We've had almost 120mm of rain in the last few days ..... it's pounding down on the roof again tonight.

 

If I was a bee I'd be bunkered down

Worried where my next feed was coming from.

If I was the Keeper, I'd be hunkered down with a cold one ,

Wondering where the next one was coming from.

 

Oh what the heck 

Grab the bottle

By the neck

Drink her dry

For sure as heck

Next week we'll fry

And break a sweat

Lifting boxes in the sun

Hanging out for a coldee

When we're done.

 

Enjoy the hunker

In yer bunker

place the bottle on the bench

When ya sunk'er.

 

'Aint nothing like a WakaChanga

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9B67D07A-21A4-4C7E-9F41-A92EE4ABD8B4.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...