December 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straining the last of my sticky Xmas gift from my bees. Means not much to many  but heaps to me. Can't bare wasting a scrap. Every drop is a bees hard work.  Just the last slow dribble to wo

Took my Year 10 class out to the hive on thursday. Was interested to see how they are going as it has been very wet down here in the South.  A huge change from the perpetual drought of south canterbur

My dad and kid were on the property when happen second one today. Dad thought our barn will fall apart, but somehow it withstood. Where I work, whole building got cracks in concrete floors, walls, but

Posted Images

On 11/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, Stoney said:

Was it poor flowering or good flowering during that bad wet patch of weather through November caused it Maru? 
my spot has poor flowering this year, last year was heavy bloom with great tests, still shifting more in tonight tho, glad to see the thick clover looking like it’s done it’s dash.. 

It wasnt the greatest flowering but the rain and wind every few days killed the flow, hopefully there's enough manuka in the honey otherwise I probly wont even get close to covering running costs this year.

• Sad 3

yesterday a near neighbour came around and we made him up a six frame nuc - he got the queen, a few frames of capped brood, a couple of frames full of nectar just starting to be capped, and a pollen/honey frame. My garden hive will sort itself out a new queen soon enough. Then carried it over to his place, and went through the hive he already had. That hive was in a bit of trouble in October as he hadn't treated varroa, chucked in some bayvarol and then a fortnighly capped brood frame booster - thriving now.

Today, went through a couple of community garden hives. Seems something happened to the queen in one of them, judging from the lack of fresh brood and a few emergency cells. Might slow it down a bit. The other is booming, seems that a full depth box of undrawn frames less than two weeks ago should have been two boxes - almost fully drawn and largely capped already. Gave it another box today, and will add another sometime soon - didn't have enough spares with me! It's getting to be a high enough stack that the next boxes might have to be 3/4 only - I prefer not to lift full depth boxes above head height..

14 hours ago, tommy dave said:

yesterday a near neighbour came around and we made him up a six frame nuc - he got the queen, a few frames of capped brood, a couple of frames full of nectar just starting to be capped, and a pollen/honey frame. My garden hive will sort itself out a new queen soon enough. Then carried it over to his place, and went through the hive he already had. That hive was in a bit of trouble in October as he hadn't treated varroa, chucked in some bayvarol and then a fortnighly capped brood frame booster - thriving now.

Today, went through a couple of community garden hives. Seems something happened to the queen in one of them, judging from the lack of fresh brood and a few emergency cells. Might slow it down a bit. The other is booming, seems that a full depth box of undrawn frames less than two weeks ago should have been two boxes - almost fully drawn and largely capped already. Gave it another box today, and will add another sometime soon - didn't have enough spares with me! It's getting to be a high enough stack that the next boxes might have to be 3/4 only - I prefer not to lift full depth boxes above head height..

Photo .....?

I've been a bit like a dog at a bone lately trying to sell honey.

I heard on the grapevine the other day that a local company was looking for 1600 tonnes of honey for an export order.

So I gave them a call.

My heart bounced. Eighty tonnes was no problem. Payment on the 30 of the month. You can get your drums back.

Send some samples.

So we sent 17 samples of batches.

We got the results back today. The samples did not meet the criteria. The colour was too dark.... in the 30' and 40' on the colour chart, some as high as 60.

Also the APC counts wer'ent great.

What the heck are APC counts and how do achieve a low count of 200, when one of our samples came in at over 3000.

I am confused, and wondering if this company is just pulling ,my plonker.

I attach a photo of a representative sample of what we produce.

The colour hovers between a 10and a 15.

• Sad 2
Just now, jamesc said:

I heard on the grapevine the other day that a local company was looking for 1600 tonnes of honey for an export order.

So I gave them a call.

My heart bounced. Eighty tonnes was no problem. Payment on the 30 of the month. You can get your drums back.

Send some samples.

We got the results back today. The samples did not meet the criteria. The colour was too dark.... in the 30' and 40' on the colour chart, some as high as 60.

What the heck are APC counts and how do achieve a low count of 200, when one of our samples came in at over 3000.

A79845F6-DDA7-49FB-9604-D3A8391D849D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Feeding dry raw sugar in Otira

Nah Bro .... no mention of C4 sugars.

I'll tell you what though , it's getting that tough to produce food these days, I really don't know why we bother!

Particularly when the procurement manager  you are dealing with tells you to consult Dr Google for the answer.

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Nah Bro .... no mention of C4 sugars.

I'll tell you what though , it's getting that tough to produce food these days, I really don't know why we bother!

Particularly when the procurement manager  you are dealing with tells you to consult Dr Google for the answer.

They are eating it as fast as it is coming in. Rata , odd tree, appearing at Jacksons so it is going to be early or a non event.

54 minutes ago, jamesc said:

i think its aerobic plate count, ie CFU count.

to much brood extracted or to much brood frames used for supers.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
17 minutes ago, tristan said:

i think its aerobic plate count, ie CFU count.

to much brood extracted or to much brood frames used for supers.

That's why I have honey boxes (3/4 manley frames) and brood frames, which are FD frames. Always low CFU's. That way you can't mix up honey and brood frames.

32 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

They want light..very light.

Not sure who produces less than than 30. Seems very light. Send them your Kamahi, 

So,is Jack's scale the same as the spectrometer? Probably totally different.

Your honey has set, so turns lighter. 

We very rarely produce 0-9 .... that usually comes from very early clover in new foundation for cut comb , or late nodder ..... but there 'aint much of either  around anymore.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

So I gave them a call.

Send some samples.

Stay strong....Sounds mega sucky. ?

57 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

In Summer?

correct.The bees are breeding and eating the nectar as fast as it being gathered. If I did not feed them I would have dead hives and dead hives do not produce honey.It lloks as though this week will be warmer than the last one.

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

reckon pulling your plonker :) 

I have a vivid imagination and I don’t want to tell you the details of my mind picture right now :) :) 

If they ring @jamesc back in a couple of weeks and offer him a lower price he'll know for sure....and luckily my imagination got drowned in a nice, cold beer tonight, so I'm safe :)

• Haha 1