December 2020 Apiary Diary

Grant

Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Believe me when I say more hives is not the cure for stress ?

more HOLIDAYS  is a good start 

I was talking with the guys at Ceracell last week.  They asked me if I was interested in their Big Escapes .... initially I thought that meant that if I bought enough stuff of them I would get a trip to Fiji ..... but no ..... apparently the Big Escape is for the bees to get out of the honey box real quick.

• Haha 6

On 4/12/2020 at 6:35 PM, Wildflower said:

Are some  bees out of the colony grumpier than the others?

BBQ tonight with friends. A pesky bee was antagonising one friend plus my husband. Have to stay on husbands good side or he might make me get rid of what he calls my craziest hobby yet.

( beekeeping,) Are there some loose units (bees) amongst the grumpy lot that will travel to make problems? Gave husband permission to kill the nasty ones and leave the good guys to just be bees and  one bee gone then all was fine....

Just one nasty grumpy bee? 

Like when I went to the fence and got stung above my eye.

What's going on?

20 hours ago, Rob Atkinson said:

image.jpeg.7334d59ab9eaa2dae52eda55fdeb2fd6.jpegimage.jpeg.d0e47b878c79a0c9d5663f7db5885e8d.jpeg

Supering run to coromandel yesterday, some nice boxes of maybe Manuka .

kanuka at full flower starting to go off and big shake on but doesn’t appear to be kanuka .

Start moving hives to Awakino this week for the Manuka but don’t rate our chances .

bush still going strong and with the rain there is heaps of pasture and thistle . 
Might be able to sell last seasons crop if this one is average ?

I just grab the hive tool and have a taste, usually manuka looks thick too, can have a green tinge and if you get a bit of a throat burn you got the good stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I just grab the hive tool and have a taste, usually manuka looks thick too, can have a green tinge and if you get a bit of a throat burn you got the good stuff.

The taste wasn’t really there and fairly runny no real globes of jelly , picking it going to be a low grade multi 

At my place as weed plant grow Cornus sanguinea ( common dogwood or bloody dogwood). It flowers at same time as black locust, when black locust forage fails and c. dogwood strive, the honey of it smells as mice p!ss. Yuck.. One year was such, I offered to one reseller, and was surprised when he offered me nice price. I rushed to get him all of it before he change his mind. Though amount of it wasn't much, cause it in best conditions can't give more than 15kg per hive. Usually it is from 5-10kg. One friend tells me the scent vanish after some time, luckily I didn't have to wait..

Edited by Goran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kanuka pouring in round here as we strip them down give them fresh empties and move them into the scrub, there’s more clover flowering than Manuka scrub this year so fingers are crossed for some multi at least. 
hives shifted in 7days ago have good weight already around 7-10kg. 
finally getting constant heat .. happy bees happy me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

we have our first clear blue sky for the week this avo.

we have been in mist mostly

Same here, weather has been so bad, been feeding a number of hives that were suffering as a result, but found two starving ones this morning, hope I caught them in time. Normally I would be extracting about now☹

1 hour ago, Philippa Thomas said:

Same here, weather has been so bad, been feeding a number of hives that were suffering as a result, but found two starving ones this morning, hope I caught them in time. Normally I would be extracting about now☹

Luckily my hives are full of new nectar , because of kamahi , despite the weather .

Your area gets it too under these weather conditions.

We should be greatfull the cyclone looks like its heading north of noumea not straight at us .

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Kanuka pouring in round here as we strip them down give them fresh empties and move them into the scrub, there’s more clover flowering than Manuka scrub this year so fingers are crossed for some multi at least. 

My seasons been a dud, 2 boxes from 20 hives yesterday and 12 boxes from 39 hives today and it looks light as so might not even have much manuka. Hopefully I'll get 1/3 of the honey crop I got last season, still got a few hundy hives to go.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

My seasons been a dud, 2 boxes from 20 hives yesterday and 12 boxes from 39 hives today and it looks light as so might not even have much manuka. 

Was it poor flowering or good flowering during that bad wet patch of weather through November caused it Maru? 
my spot has poor flowering this year, last year was heavy bloom with great tests, still shifting more in tonight tho, glad to see the thick clover looking like it’s done it’s dash.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

Looks like a bit of that NW for you today. Once gone nice weekend. 

I have experienced windy places, but the NW is the top performer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I have experienced windy places, but the NW is the top performer. 

I get the bees right in amongst the scrub really avoid having them fly any distance this really pays off in strong nor west wind , they still get out and about just stay close to home. Last season we had 2 weeks of gales as soon as they went in but still put good weight on.. 

• Like 1