December 2020 Apiary Diary

Grant

Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

Here is your opportunity to tell us (and remind yourself) about what is going on in your hives during the month of December 2020. The idea is you can look back and see when you placed treatments, what hives were strong, what were weak, when you re-queened, split, added boxes, what flows were on etc.

If you have a specific problem, concern or topic you want to discuss about your hives, please start a new topic.

• Like 1

The rain is stopping, sun beginning to shine, ti kouka is still blooming, Pohutukawa, kanuka and harakeke just starting and at least a weeks worth of good forecasts. Yay!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a bit of nectar to flow. And hopefully the latest batch of queens can now get out to meet the boys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

The rain is stopping, sun beginning to shine, ti kouka is still blooming, Pohutukawa, kanuka and harakeke just starting and at least a weeks worth of good forecasts. Yay!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a bit of nectar to flow. And hopefully the latest batch of queens can now get out to meet the boys!

This is sooooo last month !

• Haha 2

i started dumping bees from my drone brood hive.

i found cells with 2 eggs in them and the queen. 

she was a very nice looking queen too.  i marked her so i could find her later.

it is very tricky catching a queen with a queen catcher on drone brood without squashing her a bit and i failed.

she is only a yr old but she mated here last spring before all the migrant beeks arrived and i do not think it was such a good mating.

Been feeding bees today ..... about 120 of them, five litres of thick C4 and  placing shop cloths above the brood, under the queen excluder, honey box on top.

Last month was the starving month ..... we lost 14 hives on the Dew, starved out because we were too busy placing bees into the mother load ..... but it is what it is , we have nucs to cover but they won't make a crop, but at $4/kg I'm not to concerned at the loss of income. It's more the principle of the matter .....  having four live hives on a pallet ..... anal thinking , but there yah go ... it's all about the image.

We also lost one to varroa,  dead bees on the bottom board with no wings, and no food.

We pulled out 200 hives from the Dew yesterday in the rain, and a quick peek on the way home this evening revealed nectar shaking from the brood.

Clover yields very quickly on the light land when the sun comes out.

Should pulled out more .... sooner ....

It is what it is.

• Like 3

Any way ..... moving on ...... another day on the syrup tank ..... feeding bees . 

We moved a few hundred out of the dew onto the clover , and after five days of crap and cloud, today the sun appeared at afternoon smoko.

The bees went crazy , hitting the tank and the truck and the Main Man in a frenzy of excitement .... and we pumped syrup in a reciprocated frenzy and anticipation, rejoicing  that the bees were alive and at the the potential of what might be, because what might be might be quite substantial this year. 

• Like 1

@BRS  and I talk once in a while on the phone ..... usually at this time of year .... to seek counsel with her experience and wisdom  as to what the season might bring,  so to get a love heart tells me we in  Canterbury are on the same thinking.

Might be a little bit too unsetteled  for the Manuka ... 

• Like 1

OK ... that didn't work, doing the edit on the photo.

Been round the traps again today, evening bees, feeding, check, check and more check .  Got the scrapper out and dug out drone brood looking foe mites ..... couldn't find any.

I guess the O/A worked for the moment.

Any way, we almost finished the syrup , just as the bees got on a roll ..... the pay roll.

Oh for a cup of tea with my bees....☕

My notching frames didn't work. Was hoping to post photos of fantastic cells,but nope. That particular hive took 2 frames of eggs and larvae but had no interest in making a Q cell despite having no eggs or brood of thier own???

Today I popped a mated Queen into my grumpy hive. I put the two hives back together that I had split to try to prevent swarming. Q swarmed anyway,then both virgin Queens got lost with the bad wind a couple of weeks back. 

Anyway I heard a roar day before yesterday and robbers were around. Only walked to the fence. 2 meters from hives and a bee went for me and stung me above my eye.Grrr!

Tonight popped on a light bee top to protect face. Just wanted to look at the hives. Especially the one I introduced the Q to. I had bees right in my face and one stung through my jeans!. I had no trouble joining the two hives back together yesterday. Bees seemed fine. No brood or eggs for a bit now. Plenty of stores. So no fighting between them as I joined them together. But tonight, they were ready to get me.? Are some  bees out of the colony grumpier than the others? I clapped my hands on a few of the nasty ones. ###### them!

Lucky I love bees. Can't be sure why right now? They are costing me money and not being nice!!

As I said...Oh to have a nice cup of tea with my bees. Usually I can wear shorts and a Tshirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

And Trevor Gilbanks I can't believe you laughed! ??.......?

I am stressed you know. ?

O.K. now Grant laughs...

Just need a lot more hives then i don't need to stress like Mother Hen. Husband of 28 yrs  thinks it is my craziest hobby yet! Oh well Jamesc I have to adopt It is what it is!