Posting honey overseas.

john berry

On 30/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, john berry said:

I have looked at the MPI's reasons for the ban but I cannot find why it was fine a year ago and now it's not.

They are basically saying that honey is an animal product and as such you must be licensed to exported it.

Mark Goodwin has argued that honey is not an animal product but a plant product and should be treated as such.

I can see his point and think it's probably time that beekeepers in New Zealand United to get honey out of the animal products and into plant products. Sugar for instance is a plant product despite being heavily modified and refined by upright apes. One of the biggest problems with having honey called an animal product is that it is lumped in with things like meat and milk and I know what I would rather eat if it had been left sitting on a hot bench for a month.

If stopping someone sending a few pots of honey in the mail is so vital to New Zealand's reputation why is it fine for the same person to take that same honey to the same person in their luggage? There are countries including New Zealand that do not allow the importation of honey for by security reasons and I have  absolutely no problem with that but for the rest it's just nonsense.

There is another rather troubling aspect to this 'animal product' categorisation that I've only recently become aware of. Recently had a morning tea at work and I brought along some of my wife's amazing Irish soda bread and my honey. We had two vegans in our group and, while I wasn't surprised they didn't go for the soda bread (contained butter milk), they would touch my honey either. They explained that honey was verbotten as it was an animal product that we were "stealing" from "enslaved creatures" (their words).

Trying to calmly correct this incorrect perception went nowhere but it did strike me at the time that, as more and more people (especially young) go vegetarian or vegan, we may start to see the beekeeping industry targeted as another 'animal exploitation' focus for the protest brigade. MPI's categorisation has some important future ramifications then beyond just export rules IMHO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmmetHuttValley said:

There is another rather troubling aspect to this 'animal product' categorisation that I've only recently become aware of. Recently had a morning tea at work and I brought along some of my wife's amazing Irish soda bread and my honey. We had two vegans in our group and, while I wasn't surprised they didn't go for the soda bread (contained butter milk), they would touch my honey either. They explained that honey was verbotten as it was an animal product that we were "stealing" from "enslaved creatures" (their words).

Trying to calmly correct this incorrect perception went nowhere but it did strike me at the time that, as more and more people (especially young) go vegetarian or vegan, we may start to see the beekeeping industry targeted as another 'animal exploitation' focus for the protest brigade. MPI's categorisation has some important future ramifications then beyond just export rules IMHO.

vegans are nut jobs at the best of times. its more about "look at me, i'm better than you and i'm going to tell you all about it" than anything tangible. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, tristan said:

vegans are nut jobs at the best of times. its more about "look at me, i'm better than you and i'm going to tell you all about it" than anything tangible. 

My sister is a vegan .

She eats my honey .

I have explained that if anything I am a slave to my bees not the other way round .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tristan said:

it is a shame that Vegans would not have top bar hives, because then you could have all your least favourite things conveniently located in one place :) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

it is a shame that Vegans would not have top bar hives, because then you could have all your least favourite things conveniently located in one place :) 

i have said before, nothing wrong with top bar hives if your an experienced beekeeper. its the people that sell top bars to beginners using false information that i do not like.

how do you know a person is a vegan? they will tell you.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I can see it now, an overloaded ute full of vegans towing a trailer with a bent drawbar loaded with top bar hives that are still wrapped with a "Sold" sign. Merry Xmas or Bah Humbug to you All. 

• Haha 4

On 20/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, tristan said:

It is even better when they have 'Vegan' in huge letters tattooed on arm,then the start eating meat again! ?

As a younster,I was vegetarian for 20yrs. I got sicker and sicker.

As with all things,balance is the key.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1