Posting honey overseas.

john berry

Try as I may I cannot understand why with no change in the law it has become a illegal to post honey overseas. I had several very disappointed customers today at the farmers market.

I don't know a lot about what has happened but as far as I can see it is because of a ruling from MPI.

It is way past time beekeepers stop being pushed around by bureaucrats with no idea of reality and the damage they cause and this is by no means the only situation where gross stupidity from people that are supposed to be helping the beekeeping industry have caused immeasurable harm.

You can take honey in your suitcase when you fly to England and give it to someone so why can't you post it to the same person. Honey is not some deep dark illegal product.

I would really appreciate people's thoughts on this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, john berry said:

You can take honey in your suitcase when you fly to England and give it to someone so why can't you post it to the same person. Honey is not some deep dark illegal product.

I would really appreciate people's thoughts on this.

discussed in other threads. It is entirely down to MPI. The only solution is a political one for everyone who is affected to talk to their local MP and to copy any correspondence to the Minister for PI.

WWW.MPI.GOVT.NZ

<p>Honey is an animal product, and only registered exporters can send animal products out of New Zealand even if it’s a gift or for personal use.</p>

It would appear that if you are a registered exporter on this list, your customers can send your product overseas.  But then again, my interpretation may be incorrect, or by the time I finish typing this the law may have changed again.  

Edited by Maggie James
https://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/registers-lists/exporters/index.htm?setup_file=exporters-ssi.setup.cgi&rows_to_return=20000&submit_search=Search
  • Haha 1

i would not be surprised if it was a move done to curb grey exports and those who illegally export.

eg online honey sales posting overseas in small quantities, pretending to send a gift, and bypassing all the rules commercials have to go through. ie sending nz only honey or non-eu honey to the eu.

13 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I think it was Postal deciding to stick to the rules and not having staff at different locations interpreting what they think the rules are.

To avoid diverse intrepretations, surely NZ Post have protocol manuals and staff training sessions.  

My understanding from government announcements latetly, that the primary sector is driving the economy.  Therefore, why can't beekeepers who appear on the MPI list of registered honey exporters not be able to sell to people wishing to send honey overseas via the post?  Beekeepers on this list are all trying to get maximum value for their products.  And why can't customers of beekeepers whose products are extracted/processed/packed under compliance not also send.  

Post Covid, MPI and other govt departments are majorily concerned about protectionism creeping into our export markets with tariff barriers.  Yet, here back home before the product leaves our shores, NZ Post are creating their own barrier for compliant beekeepers.  I think NZ Post need to think about how they can assist the government's aims, and they need to think about the negative PR they appear to be garnering.  Bad PR can often create good competitors and alternative solutions.  Maybe NZ Post really aren't interested in staying in business with postal services.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, john berry said:

I can't post honey to my son in Norway but I can send Marmite.

The vast majority of Norwegians think that New Zealanders are very sick puppies to eat Marmite so posting Marmite is far more likely to damage New Zealand's reputation than honey.

You would be less of a sick puppy if you ate vegemite!! ?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Therefore, why can't beekeepers who appear on the MPI list of registered honey exporters not be able to sell to people wishing to send honey overseas via the post?  Beekeepers on this list are all trying to get maximum value for their products.  And why can't customers of beekeepers whose products are extracted/processed/packed under compliance not also send. 

They can surely, or am I missing something?
Para 1. The sender of the Honey or Bee products must be a registered exporter, or the product is being shipped on behalf of a registered exporter. 

Where does it say the registered exporter can't sell the product also?

image.png