• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to an extra ordinary  meeting this afternoon , called by Mountain River , to whome we sell our venison weaner deer.   The meeting had nothing to do with honey, but was quite interesti

Not exactly the way I see it. The high value was achieved by the UMF factor, but the industry insisted to market it as Manuka. Should have been marketed on UMF. Much easier to comply with. The insiste

i believe active honey could/should  be sold on an activity scale, not varietal name. its the non peroxide activity the consumer is buying regardless of the floral source.   UMF would have b

And while we are on a roll, here's another Big Thought I had .....

The Gvt needs to keep out of meddling with affairs it knows nothing about.

It destroyed the honey industry.

And then it put the squeeze on agriculture in general telling us we were carrying too much debt.

Debt is risk, and one way  for a business to grow , so that the country can grow by the tax take  and build more healthcare facilities and bridges and skate parks  is to take a risk to generate income.

So we sold assets to repay debt down to an acceptable level, and now the banks are grumbling that with such low interest rates the banking business is under pressure because of falling revenue.

We still do business with Westpac ,,, but it would be interesting to see what happens if they go bankrupt.

• Sad 1

True ...... we used to be with the Trust Bank .  They got bought out by Westpac who rebranded the Darfield branch.

A few years later the the branch closed down and was replaced  with an ATM.

Over the road was the BNZ.  That also got closed down, but  no ATM replaced it.

Following on along those lines of thinking ..... the new publican at the Coalgate tavern has put in an ATM .....

• Good Info 1
10 hours ago, jamesc said:

The Gvt needs to keep out of meddling with affairs it knows nothing about.

It destroyed the honey industry.

Not exactly the way I see it. The high value was achieved by the UMF factor, but the industry insisted to market it as Manuka. Should have been marketed on UMF. Much easier to comply with. The insistence to market on "Manuka" caused the industry to come off the rails and the government had to step in. Just my opinion!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Gerrit said:

Not exactly the way I see it. The high value was achieved by the UMF factor, but the industry insisted to market it as Manuka. Should have been marketed on UMF. Much easier to comply with. The insistence to market on "Manuka" caused the industry to come off the rails and the government had to step in. Just my opinion!

i believe active honey could/should  be sold on an activity scale, not varietal name.

its the non peroxide activity the consumer is buying regardless of the floral source. 

UMF would have been perfect to use but once it was copyrighted and we had to pay huge $$ to use the letters the door closed on that option for the small family businesses. 

• Agree 2