Swarm introduced to Top Bar Nuc. When to check?

I introduced a swarm I collected into a Topbar Nuc 24hrs ago, today they were out and about and looking like they were settling into the Nuc.

When can I open up the nuc and check the comb is going in tidily along the top bars?.

Thinking 72hrs?

First time playing with a topbar. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because of no foundation I would leave it for a week before checking.  

Could not stop worrying that bees were creating their own freestyle comb. So had a very quick look today (48hrs)lifted 2 centre frames and comb is progressing well and very straight along bar. Was jus

generally works fine if your bars are at a regular 33 to 34mm width, but they'll start to mis-align the centres after 3 or 4 bars if the top bar width is unusually narrow or wide. Also, a fast moving

Posted Images

Could not stop worrying that bees were creating their own freestyle comb. So had a very quick look today (48hrs)lifted 2 centre frames and comb is progressing well and very straight along bar. Was just a 2 second lift and look will leave alone now for rest of week.

Amazing. 

Screenshot_20201123-144233_Gallery~2.jpg

Edited by Sputnik
Clarity
  • Like 1

Do you have starter strips? I ran my top bars along the top of a bench saw to cut a groove in the middle then stuck in a 2mm wide wooden strip. Never had a problem with cross combing. In my limited experience, just leave them alone and they will probably be fine. Of course that is the advice I got which I completely ignored in my early days.

They look like they are hard at work creating comb.

No they have a small triangular starter strip of wood running along the middle of the top bar.

Seemed to be strongest option.

I have used iceblock sticks very successfully in my standard FD-3/4 honey boxes for cut comb honey production last season.

generally works fine if your bars are at a regular 33 to 34mm width, but they'll start to mis-align the centres after 3 or 4 bars if the top bar width is unusually narrow or wide. Also, a fast moving swarm can fill a box pretty quickly and the combs are inclined to develop a gentle curve that is magnified over subsequent bars. Before any of that gets out of hand it can be useful to reverse top bars 180 degrees so that then the curve they add cancels the curve they had and similarly any off centre issues are self correcting. It may not even be visible right now but ten bars later it might be too late. It is really only a one off event because once you have drawn comb you always start a bare bar between two fully drawn combs with bees strung out between the two drawn combs everything is centred happily ever-after; as all good stories should end.

• Like 1