7 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Thanks. Yep. I am the sook. 🥺She is prob. fine. Wasn't quite sure what above bit meant?

I thought you could have a go with the queen you marked at lifting her by the wing, she'll be easy to find...and once you done it a few times it gets easy. Others might say lifting by the wing no good, but I had never any problems with it. 

• Agree 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee, now I know what wrong with my kids....they had no chance!!

Weather plays a huge part in mating success, autumn weather is much more settled and a great time for you to have a crack at it I’m sure you will find it very enjoyable, there are many ways to achieve

I had a copy of this book but lent it to someone. From memory it covered most things but was a bit precious about things like sterile conditions and damp tea towels to protect freshly grafted cells. M

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, southbee said:

I thought you could have a go with the queen you marked at lifting her by the wing, she'll be easy to find...and once you done it a few times it gets easy. Others might say lifting by the wing no good, but I had never any problems with it. 

Oh! The big green thing. 🤢

Yep she will be easy to find alright! Will have a wee peep today,but won't hassle her right now. I will just check she seems O.K and then start devising my next plans.🙂

Sorry long. Interesting morning for me...

O.K.

Five Queens down to three?

Had big winds around here. Did AS on 7th. Then the hive that I took the split off also swarmed. ( Did I catch it back?) No sign of eggs yet on these two hives. Maybe just a tad too early. Fingers crossed. If not I will have to make two blue dot Queens.😀

Checked the swarm hive. Had a play....Manipulated frames still contemplating stealing a 3/4 box back? ( had given them 2 x 3/4 then slotted an unwanted FD in the middle for them to move into to save my gear as I was running out)

Ended up putting FD on bottom. Best of 3/4 in middle and left her with her 1 frame of brood plus couple of good frames either side in top box with all the undrawn stuff because they are drawing frames out so nicely fo me.

Marked my 2nd Queen. Nicely.😊

Checked on my paint dipped Queen. Untidy but happy.😁

My swarm cell maker/ want to run away hive,that I had removed 30 or mor cells from in the last couple weeks, looking really strong with no cells. But then blow it, all bees and brood.NO EGGS.

She went I think!!

So back to the swarm hive. Remembered seeing a frame with just a few eggs. ( Q must have popped a few in on her way somewhere else😅)

Did the notch thing. Gave to runnaway hive.If I see eggs next week and she hasn't gone I can remove the cells or use on other two if their Queens didn't return.....

Never simple.

Oh best box.....A FD with a solid bottom. Great for sorting stuff.

And why did I bother making coffee?

20201124_125524_copy_1008x1344.jpg

20201124_125939_copy_1008x756.jpg

20201124_125655_copy_1008x809.jpg

20201124_130101_copy_1008x778.jpg

20201124_130035_copy_1008x756.jpg

• Like 2

Wildflower that notching looks good, BUT for one thing. Best I can see, you have notched where there are eggs. The bees might build queen cells from already hatched larvae somewhere else because that is faster, and when those eggs at your notch site eventually hatch, ignore them.

Notching is best done where there are larvae that have just emerged from the eggs.

• Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Wildflower that notching looks good, BUT for one thing. Best I can see, you have notched where there are eggs. The bees might build queen cells from already hatched larvae somewhere else because that is faster, and when those eggs at your notch site eventually hatch, ignore them.

Notching is best done where there are larvae that have just emerged from the eggs.

Good point @Alastair. However, in the video it says to go for eggs.

I agree with you, however the video is a great example of the technique. 

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

I couldn't see any young lavae or eggs in the hive. Although of course they will find if there is. 

Best frame I could see without another major search. Will keep my eye on it.

1 minute ago, Wildflower said:

I couldn't see any young lavae or eggs in the hive. Although of course they will find if there is. 

Best frame I could see without another major search. Will keep my eye on it.

There are eggs in those notches. So there is a laying queen in that hive.

Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

There are eggs in those notches. So there is a laying queen in that hive.

Nope if you read the days report, they came from the swarm hive. Don't think I saw even any lavae of any size? Possibly last week when I was sifting through a million bees to find swarm cells, I may have only seen lavae and not eggs. 

Thinking Queen was still there destroyed cells. No more have been started so likely no eggs or young larvae.

• Good Info 1

@Wildflower the best way to learn queen marking is to practice on the drones.... I prefer to catch by hand, you want the drone heading away from you.. you can steer them on the frame using your fingertip til they’re heading the right way.. drones are really cheap to replace should there be a wee whoopsie. 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@Wildflower the best way to learn queen marking is to practice on the drones.... I prefer to catch by hand, you want the drone heading away from you.. you can steer them on the frame using your fingertip til they’re heading the right way.. drones are really cheap to replace should there be a wee whoopsie. 

Felt much better picking up second Queen. Won't be using the marking disk again!

Went back to check if the bees had adopted eggs. Nope!!

The comb on the notche frame is almost fixed and not an egg in sight! Nor any swarm or Q  cells

Do bees move eggs? Could the eggs have been old? ( I found them on their own)

Stole another frame of eggs. This time from 'Painty' my paint dipped Queen. ( She is doing grea BTW and SO easy to see 😁 loving it) Chose a frame with more for them to choose from. Brood to eggs of all ages. Notched it out but then after magnifying it, realised I notched along a wire. They might not like it. But happy at this stage to adopt any reasonable Queen. Might still need two more if my two virgin Queens don't get properly mated/ come home. 

Lucky it is early in the season, and lucky this is not my real job!!!

20201126_132504_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20201126_134525_copy_827x663.jpg

20201126_132208_copy_1512x2016.jpg

8 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Went back to check if the bees had adopted eggs. Nope!!

Told ya!

Use larvae.

However. If there were no queen cells at all, on that or any comb, there is a queen in the hive. Or, it has been queenless so long it has laying workers.

• Agree 1
12 hours ago, Alastair said:

Told ya!

Use larvae.

However. If there were no queen cells at all, on that or any comb, there is a queen in the hive. Or, it has been queenless so long it has laying workers.

So no eggs in hive except the few I added last few days. So no laying worker.  Had Queen minimum 2 weeks ago.

The eggs I gave them were moved! Or gone at least?

If it has a Queen why has she stopped laying?

New notched frame has larvae eggs, the lot.

A hive can be developing laying workers but not show eggs. What happens is that if an unfertilised egg gets laid in a worker cell, the bees remove it. Which is why with a failing queen we may see spotty brood. 

So when a hive gets laying workers, the workers that are still normal are running around removing those eggs. We only start seeing those eggs once the hive is getting fairly overun by laying workers. One study found that in a laying worker hive they dissected bees from, around half the bees had developed their overies and were laying eggs.

There is argument about wether or not bees move eggs. There are some who claim, with no evidence, that they do. Me, I have never seen anything to indicate that bees move eggs.  Sometimes you will find larvae on top of the queen excluder, it is because the queen is so keen to lay in drone cells that she will squeeze her butt through the wire to lay in those cells. you don't get it out of butt range, unless there are laying workers.

Queens will sometimes stop laying if they are inadvertently injured by the beekeeper, those queens are called eggbound, and they are a pain because you have to find them before you can solve the hive's issues.

Larvae or not, I have a suspicion that the hive will not raise queen cells because it does sound to me like there is something else going on preventing that. Hopefully I'll be wrong though, haven't actually seen the hive.

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 1