another big rata yr

Ah .... brings back memories of the other year when DOC took us to court for having bees on their land ....I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at their total ignorance .... the thought of it still makes me as mad as a Rattlesnake  .... that a Gvt office who are  one of the largest landowners in the country could be so small minded, mean  and petty in their dealings with us who pay their wages ..... 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the last two weeks it's been- to dry - too wet- too windy- too humid- too cold- and too hot  . Normally like most beekeepers I would be complaining about all the above but I just got back from

James, I think that rata, a good smoothly granulated rata, is one of the finest honeys in the world.  While I might personally think of it as priceless, I do hope you get the price you want...

It’s been terrible over the hill too kaihoka just awful with so much rain. we are still feeding to keep hives alive.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Ah .... brings back memories of the other year when DOC took us to court for having bees on their land ....I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at their total ignorance .... the thought of it still makes me as mad as a Rattlesnake  .... that a Gvt office who are  one of the largest landowners in the country could be so small minded, mean  and petty in their dealings with us who pay their wages ..... 

Was there another beekeeper involved in this scenario?

I am tired (blame it on queen cell production) and it's a c..p night on tv.  We must be the only country in the world that one channel devotes it's whole night to Coro St.  So, yes, certainly interested in some truthful light entertainment to be sighted from the couch!

3 hours ago, Bighands said:

1st S, Rata has burst bud on Goat Hill, so may be an early year.I also see Kanuka flowering which seems early

Sure is flowering here, lake Kaniere area. Very early. With the Kamahi in flower with the Rata and having been on Kamahi for a few weeks , will the bees,  A. Remain on Kamahi  B. Gather both or C. Switch to the Rata?   First Kamahi goin to seed but most in flower now with some just started flowering. Very interesting. 

• Good Info 1
3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Might be flowering , but my look see early in the week revealed that it has been too cold for the blossom to yield any quantity of honey ....?

Well I suppose if it was easy .. everybody would be doing it .. 

If you google ‘how to make a million bucks’ there is a strategy

sStep 1     Buy 1000 hives

Step 2.  Place them on manuka

Step 3.  Harvest $1000 of honey per hive.

Step 4. Split yer hives and double your numbers, or walk away.

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Might be cold over your side of the hill but sure hasn't been cold here.  

I guess it depends on your scale of cold .  Been 26c here today ..... honeys flowing .... coast seems to have been 10c behind us for a while ....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I guess it depends on your scale of cold .  Been 26c here today ..... honeys flowing .... coast seems to have been 10c behind us for a while ....

Weren't you complaing about snow and havin ta light the fire and feeding hives recently? 

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, john berry said:

In the last two weeks it's been- to dry - too wet- too windy- too humid- too cold- and too hot  .

Normally like most beekeepers I would be complaining about all the above but I just got back from five days hunting in the mountains with not a beehive in sight so I am a bit more mellow than usual.

DID you shoot anything?

50 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Weren't you complaing about snow and havin ta light the fire and feeding hives recently? 

Jimmys burnt that much fossil fuel driving back and forth to the bees he’s not too sure if he’s lookin at the sun setting in the west or rising in the east.. 

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Jimmys burnt that much fossil fuel driving back and forth to the bees he’s not too sure if he’s lookin at the sun setting in the west or rising in the east.. 

True .....  the interesting thing at this time of year is that as six frames of brood hatch out overnight, all of a sudden you have another 10,000 hungry mouths looking for food. A couple of litres of syrup keeps them going for  couple of days, so while one week maybe cold and wet and you're putting match sticks in yer eyelids to prop them open, it only takes a day of  26c to make the good stuff run, and hey presto , you can use the matches for lighting candles at the top end and fill the syrup tank with water ready for firefighting.

Anyway, better slurp the coffee and crack the whip to get the wagons rolling ...... we picked up another pollination contract earlier in the week ..... that will cover Hummer repairs. Easy come, easy go.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Bighands said:

DID you shoot anything?

Let's just say that my mates now call me miss Berry.

Thousands of acres of manuka where we were, all still in tight bud. If I was offered sites for free  up their I still wouldn't take them as its very high cold country, would be all helicopters and if it is like the rest of the Bay fairly low UMF plus that mountain manuka all flowers at the same time and generally only last two weeks and 14 days of that two weeks it normally either rains or blows.

At least my mates got something so we won't go hungry.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, john berry said:

Let's just say that my mates now call me miss Berry.

Thousands of acres of manuka where we were, all still in tight bud. If I was offered sites for free  up their I still wouldn't take them as its very high cold country, would be all helicopters and if it is like the rest of the Bay fairly low UMF plus that mountain manuka all flowers at the same time and generally only last two weeks and 14 days of that two weeks it normally either rains or blows.

At least my mates got something so we won't go hungry.

Is that north island high and cold .

There are now big ratas in full flower . Some I do not think will flower at all.

The ones around my house and hives are all covered in buds about to open .

The big factor now is the wind , yesterday there was none ,  most of  these trees are very tall and exposed.

The manuka is flowering exceptionaly well, the hills are white.

My hives are weak and I think this yr they will be building up with the flow unfortunately .