Respect for Real Beeks...

Ran out of gear.

Boxes that is.

Was going to buy some treated boxes and kick the painting habit. But after3/4 hr drive none available.

So I thought of you real beeks while I mucked around painting boxes prety colours. Prob. have 23 or more now. But some of you guys have thousands!!😲 Man you guys work hard!

Best thing today, is that I finally bought a new pair of gloves.❤

Been struggling with two stiff old pairs for 5 years now. One pair  with a hole in the thumb and one pair too big and majorly hard. New gloves. So happy.😁

20201118_204324_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20201118_204231_copy_1612x1209.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forwarded it to my wife.   Ewwwwww they look very small! Was the reply 🤣🤣🤣    

???Young travelers.  We don't have any and we are absolutely loving it.  The Selwyn District Council riverbed camping grounds are the nearest to ChCh airport, and it is great just to see NZers using t

Ran out of gear. Boxes that is. Was going to buy some treated boxes and kick the painting habit. But after3/4 hr drive none available. So I thought of you real beeks while I mucked arou

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, southbee said:

Hi @Wildflower, wash your stiff gloves with warm water and sunlight soap. Then dry and to make them soft again, mix up some beeswax and olive oil to a paste and rub it in. They'll be more than fine for a spare pair again

These guys have been washed, scrubbed and washed again. Never rubbed with beeswax and olive oil though. Will give it a go.

I find the OAG staples eat the leather and regardless of that gloves generally fail through holes at the finger tips. These days I cut off the finger tips and wear a woven mesh glove dipped in rubber. These are nice to wear and give me nearly the precision of single use blue gloves without being single use. The rest of the leather gloves over the top protect wrists and prevents hive tool tearing the ones underneath. Now my gloves last forever.. and the rubber finger tips are never stiff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use PVC gloves with white cotton  inner gloves to soak up the sweat. You just need to get the softer type as some of the gloves are very inflexible. They do get hot but you don't get stung through them and they don't absorb honey, stings, varroa treatments et cetera.They also get washed every day unlike a lot of beekeepers leather gloves that I see that to be honest are pretty manky.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
11 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I find the OAG staples eat the leather and regardless of that gloves generally fail through holes at the finger tips. These days I cut off the finger tips and wear a woven mesh glove dipped in rubber. These are nice to wear and give me nearly the precision of single use blue gloves without being single use. The rest of the leather gloves over the top protect wrists and prevents hive tool tearing the ones underneath. Now my gloves last forever.. and the rubber finger tips are never stiff.

Enjoying reading this but not sure how to do the same. Loved working gloveless untill I got stung 9 times in one hand and ended up with a boxing glove.cutting fingers off and having a soft mesh thing dipped in rubber? How do I get that together?

9 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

fingers off and having a soft mesh thing dipped in rubber? How do I get that together?

in the garden section of most hardware stores you can buy gloves made of knitted cotton, the palm side of which is coated in rubber.

• Thanks 1

So soft cotton inner gloves, latex under fingerless leather gloves.etc.

Glove info welcolme ...  I am still so happy to have new gloves. But soaking ,washing scrubbing and cutting fingers off old gloves makes sense. I have a rediculous amount of different gardening gloves. I work at a garden centre. Revamping gloves is a great idea. I would have just thrown them out!!! Not now.😃

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Enjoying reading this but not sure how to do the same. Loved working gloveless untill I got stung 9 times in one hand and ended up with a boxing glove.cutting fingers off and having a soft mesh thing dipped in rubber? How do I get that together?

I bought the rubber gloves from Blackwoods safety. they are normally used for concreting or building work there are a lots of varieties and if you try them all on you can find something that not only fits and has good fingertip 'feel' but also not too bad to wear sweating. Of course they were even cheaper with my farmlands card too. So, for me this is pretty easy giving finger tip feel and good cover for the overlap to the suit from regular leather gloves made fingerless. I did post a photo of the gloves here once, but maybe is in the BoP Club posts.

• Like 1

my favourites for mechanical work and gardening are ones I got from a safety shop, Black Bull by esko safety. they are long lasting and you don't sweat in them. A nice snug fit and just a light coating of nitrile on the palm and fingers to retain good feel. The ones with a thicker coating of nitrile lose a bit of 'feel'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
17 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Where do you purchase these John?

Protector safety I think , but you normally need to order them and the last lot I got were a bit small. There is no way I would wear rubber gloves without inner gloves as going down that road leads to nasty nail infections.

I don't like wearing gloves. Having said that, I did at the beginning of the week when putting shop towels out laced with O/A.

They were rubber chemical gloves and stank. I made the comment to the Main man that it must be a  very similar sensation  to wearing a second hand Vietnames condom.

• Haha 1
On 20/11/2020 at 6:48 PM, jamesc said:

I don't like wearing gloves. Having said that, I did at the beginning of the week when putting shop towels out laced with O/A.

They were rubber chemical gloves and stank. I made the comment to the Main man that it must be a  very similar sensation  to wearing a second hand Vietnames condom.

Jamesc, I know you love to recycle but........

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Jamesc, I know you love to recycle but........

It gave me a chuckle several weeks ago.....

Stuff news..... ‘ police close down vietnamese condom recycling operation.’

True story.... apparantly.

• Haha 3
52 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I forwarded it to my wife.   Ewwwwww they look very small! Was the reply 🤣🤣🤣

0D452C77-425F-4F37-88F7-F0431E943E40.thumb.png.6494b3db9cbdfdde6cba2a75b4ffb482.png

Edited by dansar
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2
On 22/11/2020 at 5:34 PM, jamesc said:

Yeah saw the same article, made me think of all the young travelers you got down your way there could be a market for this, like glass bottle recycling, so many cents when they return one.

• Confused 1