How far ( or close) do bees swarm?

Last few checks I have had trouble with my grumpy hive. Decided to do AS and put couple nice cells in another box with plenty of nurse bees.

Left old Queen with more space. This old girl is 3 or 4yrs and truely should have been re queened by now.

Caught swarm yesterday. FAR too big I thought,for it to be remains of grumpy hive? BUT...

checked grumpy hive today.It was less grumpy but no sign of eggs etc. I had a short panic

( because I removed all Q cells) Then Oh Yay! A frame with 3 beautiful capped cells 3/4 up a frame. ❤ Phew!

Wondering now if the swarm could have been her, the oh so grumpy one. Or did she finally die and bees are superseding her?

The swarm I caught  was in tree just 3 meters from the hive.

I know scout bees do the looking for a new spot, but is it possible I have just caught my own (grumpy,blow it!) bees?

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last few checks I have had trouble with my grumpy hive. Decided to do AS and put couple nice cells in another box with plenty of nurse bees. Left old Queen with more space. This old girl is 3 or

Quite often the initial swarm will congregate within the apiary for a few hours or even a couple of days depending on what the scout bees have Sussed out for a new home.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Last few checks I have had trouble with my grumpy hive. Decided to do AS and put couple nice cells in another box with plenty of nurse bees.

Left old Queen with more space. This old girl is 3 or 4yrs and truely should have been re queened by now.

Caught swarm yesterday. FAR too big I thought,for it to be remains of grumpy hive? BUT...

checked grumpy hive today.It was less grumpy but no sign of eggs etc. I had a short panic

( because I removed all Q cells) Then Oh Yay! A frame with 3 beautiful capped cells 3/4 up a frame. ❤ Phew!

Wondering now if the swarm could have been her, the oh so grumpy one. Or did she finally die and bees are superseding her?

The swarm I caught  was in tree just 3 meters from the hive.

I know scout bees do the looking for a new spot, but is it possible I have just caught my own (grumpy,blow it!) bees?

I don't know whose bees you have caught. But I have seen enough to conclude that if a swarm on the move has several good choices of where to land for a rest, it will generally prefer to land near or in an existing apiary. I guess they like the smells of another apiary over going it alone somewhere unproven. It doesn't happen that often but it has been a surprise on multiple swarm collection list call-outs all over town.

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

I have seen enough to conclude that if a swarm on the move has several good choices of where to land for a rest, it will generally prefer to land near or in an existing apiary. I guess they like the smells of another apiary over going it alone somewhere unproven. 

Interesting.....

I have caught 4 swarms in my tiny 2 to 5 hive apiary in last few years. Hoping I didn't catch Grumpy!...aAfter all, 3 meters of flying is not time to have a rest.🤣 Unless they just decided home was best after all of their scouting around?

This is where they land. Want to colour code my Queens.

20201115_160637_copy_2016x1512.jpg

20201115_161340.jpg