Hi all

Hope all well with bees. Quick question. I do a few AFB checks for people in my local area. I thought the bee keeper needs to be present and pass me frames. Is this the case or am I wrong. I don't mind doing it all but it is alot quicker if the owner is there opening hives and moving boxes. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never heard of any requirement. 

I have only had one AFB ckeck done by someone else in my first year of having bees. Was four hives and not knowing anyone with bees it was such a great lesson(and free) to see an experienced beekeeper

I like to have the beekeeper there to watch what I am doing and so that i can explain why I do things and what I am seeing. I like to think that the beekeeper gets a lesson at the same time.

I have only had one AFB ckeck done by someone else in my first year of having bees. Was four hives and not knowing anyone with bees it was such a great lesson(and free) to see an experienced beekeeper go through the hives and inspect them. I learnt alot from that visit. Then sat courses and got my deca. Now have 12 hives and been disease free. So i think its important that the hive owner is there to see what goes on. Every bit ya can do to educate a hive owner is a bonus. I reckon.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Diane said:

I thought the bee keeper needs to be present and pass me frames. Is this the case or am I wrong. I don't mind doing it all but it is alot quicker if the owner is there opening hives and moving boxes. 

I like to have the beekeeper there to watch what I am doing and so that i can explain why I do things and what I am seeing.

I like to think that the beekeeper gets a lesson at the same time.

I reckon it is slower if the beekeeper helps as I am able to do it my way a lot quicker and easier.

• Like 2