Employer reluctant to supply EpiPens

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've put some resources up, including a free online training program at      

EpiPen costs 120 and lasts in excess of 12 months usually. That's nothing near the 320 you estimated.   You order them online from Queenstown with free nationwide delivery, which means no tr

We know another couple well, they keep bees about 20km from here.  He is a pharmacist, she works in an office in town, they have 6 colonies on their property.  He decided to just keep a kit around 'ju

10 hours ago, Grant said:
WWW.ALLERGY.ORG.AU

Adrenaline autoinjectors (e.g. EpiPen) should be stored in a cool dark place (such as an insulated wallet) at room temperature, between 15 and 25 d...

Might have to be some thought to that, although a thermally lined food bag should remain at a relatively constant temperature. Or even a small chilly bin type box (not chilled) to act as a thermal barrier?

Hey, we don't have that problem of overheating epipen down here, every cloud got a silver lining....we keep one in the glove box, if it's a really hot summer I'll put it in a chilly bag, easy. Luckily haven't needed it, but like it's been mentioned, I did need that bike helmet to safe my head a few years back, I needed a life jacket once and a seat belt on a couple of occasions. I also have an insurance for lots of things, even so I feel like I waste my money every  year. And  I agree with the old wive tales, there's lots of misinformation out there about allergic reactions. There's a lot more known about the condition now then 2o years ago and I'm not up to scratch with it either, so appreciate the link. And I do sincerely hope nobody got killed with the discussions, that would be a really extreme reaction, worse than any allergies!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Grant what are the rules about administering drugs/medications to other people.  As business owners I understand we cant give our staff panadol etc.  When I was a Barnardos caregiver/ some long time ago, we werent allowed to give medications to children.  I had one stung by a bee and only just made it to North shore hospital, begged his mum on the phone to let me give him antihistamine she did, but he was unconscious by the time I arrived.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, fieldbee said:

what are the rules about administering drugs/medications to other people.

You can't give over the counter medications unless you are medically trained to use them. 

You can stock them and allow the person to self administer.

Worksafe instructions attached - medication in first aid kits page 11

Here's one for you. Worksafe use the following terminology

You must provide at least one first aid kit for each workplace and ensure workers know where it is. 

What you put in the kit should be based on the particular risks of the work carried out at your workplace. For example, there is likely to be a higher risk of eye injuries and a need for eye pads if your workers:

My personal interpretation of that is: if there is a higher risk of anaphylactic shock you should provide an Epipen

If you have workers in remote or isolated locations, you must provide them with a basic first aid kit (described on the previous page) as well as extra first aid equipment if required.

Again my personal interpretation is that "extra first aid equipment" could cover an epipen. 

WKS-17-First-aid-at-work.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2
  • Disagree 1
On 26/11/2020 at 3:52 AM, Grant said:

EpiPen costs 120 and lasts in excess of 12 months usually. That's nothing near the 320 you estimated.

You order them online from Queenstown with free nationwide delivery, which means no trips into town.

Additionally ACC would reimburse you had you used it on the guy who was choppered out, or anyone else.

Not everyone has a history of being allergic. You could have had 200 stings before with nothing and sting 201 causes a reaction with no prior history.

However it's turning into an interesting thread now because it's highlighting the sheer lack of any understanding of allergic reactions in the industry. 

You don't give insulin to someone in a diabetic emergency, especially in the middle of nowhere.

You guys seriously need to consider attending workplace first aid, just to dispell some of the old wives tales you run with, because that's 2 people we've killed in 2 days just in a discussion thread 🤣

Maybe the price has gone down, last one I bought was that price, say 3-4 years ago and ACC🤣🤣🤣 who are they? Just a big waste of time dealing with them unless you break something or are hospitalized. 

Probly cant even afford an EpiPen this season anyway, so far I've borrowed over a grand and probly be 30 deep minimum by the time I sell my honey which at some sites is half a box from 4 hives if your lucky,  I got a few with nothing at all, another beekeeper in my area only got 3 drums and some just have a sad story of none. 

Sometimes it comes down to would I rather an epipen or food on the table for my family and I know which one I'd choose.

• Sad 3