Nearly killed Q. Did I do right?

Swarm cell city at my place. Lots with lava in. Seems my bees want to split and make more colonies. Removed around 20 cells from one hive!

Got to my grumpy hive and found lots of swarm cells, some with lava. Then found a capped Q cell. Considered killing the Grumpy hive's Queen.Picked her up,but in my awkward old gloves dropped her and she ran under the frames.  Cold wind was coming up so had to think quick. Even though the box is so full, they have barely made any attempt to draw out the second honey box. So I quickly split the hive in two. When I went over to check just before they seemed relaxed. Possibly my imagination. But figure worse scenario is my newly hatched Queen doesn't return from her mating flight and I will rejoin them   

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that I am old, slow, and lazy, I don't feel like checking every hive every week. Nor do I want to keep making increase.   Sometimes I'll find a hive that I just know is going to swarm al

I don't split at swarming, I scatter empty wired frames all through the brood nest. They get so annoyed with this they just carry on building instead of leaving.

Posted Images

We had an earthquake here yesterday 7.26 a.m. 4.6 scale, 10 km depth, quite prolonged.    Fortunately we have not seen any lava yet.  In the past I have noted that earthquakes do make bees v grumpy, so I guess lava would exacerbate any grumpiness.  Grafting yard v grumpy today, plus this would have been aggravated with cool temps and no pollen or nectar flow.  

Do you belong to a beekeeping club, and if so do you attend?  I think bee clubs are great.  They give you an opportunity to buddy up with someone in your area plus networking, whether inspecting a hive, or via phone, or via email on really practical issues such as you describe.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1

The North Canterbury Beekeepers Club has a good website, great apiary venue, plus Q&A evenings during the week following field days.  I understand they also have an educational programme, plus a buying pool for various hive treaments, feeds etc.  I suggest you contact them and attend some of their meetings for informative, friendly education and networking purposes.  

1 hour ago, Wildflower said:

Swarm cell city at my place. Lots with lava in. Seems my bees want to split and make more colonies. Removed around 20 cells from one hive!

Got to my grumpy hive and found lots of swarm cells, some with lava. Then found a capped Q cell. Considered killing the Grumpy hive's Queen.Picked her up,but in my awkward old gloves dropped her and she ran under the frames.  Cold wind was coming up so had to think quick. Even though the box is so full, they have barely made any attempt to draw out the second honey box. So I quickly split the hive in two. When I went over to check just before they seemed relaxed. Possibly my imagination. But figure worse scenario is my newly hatched Queen doesn't return from her mating flight and I will rejoin them   

When you say they haven't attempted to draw out the honey box- are you talking foundation?

It is swarm season- its a natural process. The skill in beekeeping is to recognise when the queen is running out of laying space and to take appropriate action. A honey box will only provide hang-out space- the queens laying space may still be restricted.

Splitting the hive sounds like the correct action. Its what I had to do last weekend when I found a hive about to swarm.

Maybe try to get a new queen and do a proper job on "Grumpy"

What Maggie was trying to say is the correct spelling is larvae.

Now that I am old, slow, and lazy, I don't feel like checking every hive every week. Nor do I want to keep making increase.

Sometimes I'll find a hive that I just know is going to swarm almost regardless of what I do. They have made the decision, and they are going to do it.

So my lazy mans method in these situations is kill all the queen cells except 2, and also kill the queen. 

You would think they will just swarm anyway but nearly always they don't. I think it is because they go into queenless mode for a few days, and that changes the dynamic and intention of the hive.

I carry some queen cages at this time of year so if the queen is a good one I'll cage it instead of killing, which means that most of the time I have a few spare queens in the cab. So I come across an exceptionally mean hive or a queen that is a poor performer, I can take care of the problem there and then.

I have lost a few swarms this season, but not too many, I think my rough and ready systems work reasonably well 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2
12 hours ago, Mummzie said:

hen you say they haven't attempted to draw out the honey box- are you talking foundation?

Yes talking foundation. Have swapped the two brood boxes around to allow Q to lay more in her prefered warm top box. From a humans perspective she still has enough laying space. But what would I know?

I wil have another go at killing her I guess?

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

I carry some queen cages at this time of year so if the queen is a good one I'll cage it instead of killing, which means that most of the time I have a few spare queens in the cab.

That is real Beekeepers talk. Wouldn't know what to do with a spare caged Queen. I also only have a few hives so have to look after them or risk chance of losing them one by one.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tudor said:

And intervene by an Artificial Swarm if they have decided to swarm.

Thanks Tudor. Thoroughly enjoyed your article and went on to read the Demeree method. In retrospect,I think my own AS was surprisingly similar to what you had written. I will configure frames slightly different if doing again, but all in all pleased. You also meantioned open cells were more reliable than capped because some capped are empty. I chose to keep the nice looking closed Q cell, but also one open for the new box. So happy about that.🤞

Thanks again.

Larvae is one of the words that the Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not seem to recognise and one of the words I find most difficult to spell so I generally use baby bee or grub.

Antidisestablishmentarianism is easy with voice recognition software so why isn't la vie. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

(this thread is way off topic anyway- have been debating splitting it)

Oh no - not the split.  Hope you have got a placid queen, brood & larvae, plus young bees to facilitate a good split!

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, john berry said:

Larvae is one of the words that the Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not seem to recognise and one of the words I find most difficult to spell so I generally use baby bee or grub.

Antidisestablishmentarianism is easy with voice recognition software so why isn't la vie. 

Not only hard to spell, I find 'larvae' hard to pronounce as well, so generally use grub, written or spoken....as for the other long and difficult word, had to google it to find out what it means, which made me learn something for the day!

• Like 1
On 7/11/2020 at 5:59 PM, Wildflower said:

Grumpy hive's

Another reason for grumpy hives, in your area if you are in a rural setting, is that there is probably a pollen and nectar dearth.  In rural Canty hives generally go into a dearth approx 1 Nov to maybe mid or 30 Nov, thereafter become self sufficient.