November 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Mummzie,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

8 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Manukas all over, I'm still looking forward to getting out there even though it's been a bad season for both manuka and now kanuka, was hoping to get a decent boat but if I can cover costs withought having to sell my hard earned tractor I'll be a happy man. 

Things are going to have to change and site rates are going to have to drop! With an extra thousand hives in the area and prices dropping annually somethings gotta give, hopefully it's the corporates🤣 how many years can you go on making a loss???

We is entering our fourth year .....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of pirate beekeeping over the weekend and we’re just about finished the first round of supering up, thats quite early for us.    

But anyway... while the team was doing yhe hard yards... I was out galivanting around... checking access and gates. This one iss a classic.

Interesting thing happened yesterday, one of those things that are sometimes classed as a mystery.   Three weeks ago at a site I split 4 very strong hives in fear they would swarm. Did it by

Posted Images

Sorry to hear all that Maru. Strange, manuka where I am is still flowering profusely, and my hives are full of it I have never seen so much manuka in my hives.

Never know till the money is in the bank, but my suspicion is this will be a freak extra good year over here.

32 minutes ago, Alastair said:

manuka where I am is still flowering profusely,

Well it is mostly Kanuka with some Manuka here in bony Eyrewell. Some young ones full flower. Established ones just coming into flower now? Or could I be wrong? The young ones already flowering, are the Manuka? Does Manuka flower before Kanuka? Must go have a closer look.

12 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Manukas all over, I'm still looking forward to getting out there even though it's been a bad season for both manuka and now kanuka, was hoping to get a decent boat but if I can cover costs withought having to sell my hard earned tractor I'll be a happy man. 

Things are going to have to change and site rates are going to have to drop! With an extra thousand hives in the area and prices dropping annually somethings gotta give, hopefully it's the corporates🤣 how many years can you go on making a loss???

whos got more hives in?

a lot of hives got pulled out of the north as a lot doesn't pass the new testing.

certainly site rates need to drop massively. however i suspect there is probably a few prospectors having a go which keeps prices up.

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Sorry to hear all that Maru. Strange, manuka where I am is still flowering profusely, and my hives are full of it I have never seen so much manuka in my hives.

Never know till the money is in the bank, but my suspicion is this will be a freak extra good year over here.

early crop out of far north appears to be pretty slim. not sure what the later flow has done yet.

• Good Info 1

Now there's a new term @tristan ..... Honey Prospector ...... I like that ..... most of those who made their money in the gold rush were the liquor sellers, equipment suppliers and the Ladies.

I know the Ross Hotel does quite well out of us , as does the coffee shop around the corner .... 

3 hours ago, tristan said:

early crop out of far north appears to be pretty slim. not sure what the later flow has done yet.

Our manuka flow probly ended a couple of weeks ago, went to have a look at most of the hives and there wasnt enough to cap it so been giving the Kanuka a bit of time to finish off the frames, into it tomorrow if the weathers any good, been raining more than usual for this time of the year.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Our manuka flow probly ended a couple of weeks ago, went to have a look at most of the hives and there wasnt enough to cap it so been giving the Kanuka a bit of time to finish off the frames, into it tomorrow if the weathers any good, been raining more than usual for this time of the year.

wouldn't it be better to harvest the manuka and collect kanuka seperately?

31 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

wouldn't it be better to harvest the manuka and collect kanuka seperately?

not always.

trouble with uncapped honey is it may need to go get dried which costs $$$$ and you also have kanuka which you might struggle to sell. 

by leaving it he may turn kanuka into low grade manuka thats nice and dry. 

Which is what I do. Had a drum go bad once and it's not a great feeling.

My few selected sites get cold sea breeze and manuka is later than everything else around where I am, so I have to harvest late and get other stuff mixed in, but at least it's capped. Only end up with 5+ but some of the other numbers are good for blending and it's still good money.

Edited by Alastair

i went through my hives and found two newly mated queens  and one hive full of drone brood and eggs and no queen.

its either a laying worker or a drone layer queen i have not found.

so i took the drone brood box beneath the excluder and moved it 10 metres away on a base with a lid.

i got the nuc with the newly mated queen and put her and  frames in the top box of the hive that was above the excluder  and put it back  on the  base.

there were not many bees in this box but i sprayed some air freshner around.

i thought some of the bees will drift back to their old spot.

i know that most will stay with the drone brood and i will need to shake them out.

i thought i would give the new queen a couple of day to settle.

did i do the right thing ?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Wasn't last year a reasonable one for you?

Went through a couple of community garden hives today, good to feel the weight of some completely capped full depth boxes of honey.

A week or so back I went through a near neighbour's hive, it's in salvage mode after he didn't chuck varroa treatment in until late October. Happy to speed up its recovery with a couple of frames of capped brood from the hive in my garden - want his to be up to speed now that the pohutukawa is starting to pop!!

Edited by tommy dave
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

did i do the right thing ?

Yes.

There are several ways to deal with the problem but that is one. A suggestion, don't shake them all out at once, just a few frames a day for several days so you won't get overwhelming numbers arriving at the queenright hive at the same time. But try to get them shaken within a week or so. Then you can add the combs of drone brood back to the hive so the bees can clean them up.

To know if it's laying workers or a drone laying queen, look at the eggs. A drone laying queen will still lay normally, one egg bottom centre of each cell. Laying workers there will be many eggs in some of the cells, and they will mostly be not in the normal place in the cell. If it's a drone laying queen, best kill her if you find her.

• Good Info 3
2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yes.

There are several ways to deal with the problem but that is one. A suggestion, don't shake them all out at once, just a few frames a day for several days so you won't get overwhelming numbers arriving at the queenright hive at the same time. But try to get them shaken within a week or so. Then you can add the combs of drone brood back to the hive so the bees can clean them up.

To know if it's laying workers or a drone laying queen, look at the eggs. A drone laying queen will still lay normally, one egg bottom centre of each cell. Laying workers there will be many eggs in some of the cells, and they will mostly be not in the normal place in the cell. If it's a drone laying queen, best kill her if you find her.

I saw only one egg in cell which did make me wonder , laying workers I have had experience with in the past had many eggs .

10 days ago I saw two nice looking queen cells with lava in the bottom .

They had disappeared , or been turned into drone cells .

As I am shaking out the frames a will have a good look for the queen .

I have decided not to swap my hives to get a strong honey collector.  I am now robbing frames of capped brood to build up the hive untill the new queen gets really going .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

As I am shaking out the frames a will have a good look for the queen .

If you are not sure if you have a drone layer, maybe you could put an empty box on the hive base and shake them into that. Then put on a QE and the rest of the boxes with frames on top of the QE. 24hours later, your drone layer might be underneath the QE. Normally a QE will hold out a drone layer too. If there is no queen under the QE then shake them out over the grass as for laying workers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 29/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, Alastair said:

Not sure how it works in Eyrewell, but up here manuka flowers first, then kanuka. There can be an overlap though so it's tricky. 

The further south you go the later the manuka flowers, so not sure how that affects the overlap between manuka and kanuka.

where we are it usually manuka and then into kanuka. this year the kanuka is already flowering and the manuka is just getting going. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2