November 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Mummzie,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

On 22/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

Ive told my orchardist that if its raining or the ground is wet they get the hives placed in the loadout pad and no more, if I cant drive around the orchard in my two wheel when they need the hives then they can use their tractor after i'm gone to place them where I can't get. Health n Safty and also wear n tear, is the reason I give, had to many late night hours stuck when you shouldn't have to be, and orchard tractors have no traction to pull you out.

Thought you had a 4wd?

You must have great relationships to swing that solution.

What happens if it rains on the day you want them out?

Iam mid point in shifting bees out to lucrative pastures. Got an offer to go South, a potential partnership! Though @jamesctaught us to dot the I's...... Hence bees going North to Pattie Land.

Anyone need bees to fill boxes?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of pirate beekeeping over the weekend and we’re just about finished the first round of supering up, thats quite early for us.    

But anyway... while the team was doing yhe hard yards... I was out galivanting around... checking access and gates. This one iss a classic.

Interesting thing happened yesterday, one of those things that are sometimes classed as a mystery.   Three weeks ago at a site I split 4 very strong hives in fear they would swarm. Did it by

Posted Images

Pattie land ....?

Nothing wrong with partnerships , you just gotta make sure you spot all the chasms and pits before you fall into them .... and have an exit strategy with fire power from a top lawyer.

Become the hunter, rather than the hunted.

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Thought you had a 4wd?

You must have great relationships to swing that solution.

What happens if it rains on the day you want them out?

Iam mid point in shifting bees out to lucrative pastures. Got an offer to go South, a potential partnership! Though @jamesctaught us to dot the I's...... Hence bees going North to Pattie Land.

Anyone need bees to fill boxes?

No never had a 4x4, can't stand them, like driving a box on the rd and always got to climb in n out of them when you only need the 4x4 part of it for 6% o the time you own it, better to plan your trips etc. bees fly and you can go off track pretty well on a dry track. When the hives come out the pressure off so if I take a day or two longer to get them out waiting for better weather window or a day earlier if needed. 

Partnerships can work well, just make sure you know what is expected.

20 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

No never had a 4x4, can't stand them, like driving a box on the rd and always got to climb in n out of them when you only need the 4x4 part of it for 6% o the time you own it, better to plan your trips etc. bees fly and you can go off track pretty well on a dry track. When the hives come out the pressure off so if I take a day or two longer to get them out waiting for better weather window or a day earlier if needed. 

Partnerships can work well, just make sure you know what is expected.

So true, 4wd are rough. 

I need the ability to uplift hives from farms when the they required. 

Hardly used it this season,but it is dry. 

Pattie Land...

DSC_1212_copy_1376x774.jpg

Dear Diary, my truck stinks with all the pattie spatter this morning. 

Lot’s of unavoidable manipulations in the queen rearing yard in rotten conditions recently. Cold wet open hives makes the bees gruuuuuuumpy. Though I still go freehand in empathy with the girls ?

• Like 1

We get our honey from Natural Sugars.

I rang the lovely girl today to order a tonne of raw, as watching Blue Skies  the next couple of weeks are gonna be up and down until mid December, when it settles for a few weeks, and January is looking messy. Real messy.

Karl rang back a few hours later to say there were only two pallets of raw in the South Island, down in Dunedin. He went on to say shipping logistics were real and the next lot was on the water and might be here by the end of December.

So I ordered a tonne of white and will give hungry hives a slurp shortly. It doesn't go as far as raw ..... but it's pretty depressing losing hives to starvation at this time of year.

• Agree 2
7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We get our honey from Natural Sugars.

I rang the lovely girl today to order a tonne of raw, as watching Blue Skies  the next couple of weeks are gonna be up and down until mid December, when it settles for a few weeks, and January is looking messy. Real messy.

Karl rang back a few hours later to say there were only two pallets of raw in the South Island, down in Dunedin. He went on to say shipping logistics were real and the next lot was on the water and might be here by the end of December.

So I ordered a tonne of white and will give hungry hives a slurp shortly. It doesn't go as far as raw ..... but it's pretty depressing losing hives to starvation at this time of year.

This is farming

• Agree 1

Maybe that's why you got stuck??

Anyhow, photo below of a potential time waster. Camber all away down slope and slick surface with slightest of rain. Quite deceptive. 

DSC_1214_copy_1376x774.jpg

DSC_1213_copy_1376x774.jpg

how 'd the pollination go .... orchardists happy ?

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

how 'd the pollination go .... orchardists happy ?

Went very well. Settled weather, bees looking good, not stuck. Wet a few times.

Orchardists are reserved, waiting to see how the fruit set develops. 

Big G3 crop, 

See how they squeel getting the crop picked and freighting it. Lots of overseas seasonal workers not coming back. My wife worked at a pack shed during lockdown. Improving conditions be a great start! Being more flexible, like job share or part time be great to encourage kiwis to the factory floor.

• Like 2

Being more flexible, like job share or part time be great to encourage kiwis to the factory floor.

this is exactly the comment made by a job seeker I know of. He was searching for employment but not available for 8-5 because of child care and there was no flexibility.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

this is exactly the comment made by a job seeker I know of. He was searching for employment but not available for 8-5 because of child care and there was no flexibility.

Yes. No flexibility. Do the 12 hour shift or zilch. And the "Seasonal" status is crap. Lyn wanted a job share or part time, it was so difficult to sort out. So she worked until it broke her. The handful of overseas back packers accepted the conditions, but were surprised that locals did too. No way they would work that way in their own country.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

I split Reg’s hives the other day. They live opposite the Glentunnel store and keep his garden humming.

I Had a couple of spare queens , so grabbed a pie.... and crscked into it.

I was surprised at the smount of pollen in the pollen traps, as I had opened them up to let the bees keep most of the pollen a while ago.

Found the old queens and put them on new bottom boards to the back of the hives with most of the brood.

Popped the queens in the original box with four frames of brood and a squirt of air freshner to disguise the pheremone.

Doubled my numbers.... money for jam.

Reg had put a young lemon tree in front of the hives for some free pollination.

OMG .... the aroma.

4C1727C5-09A0-454C-B134-0167AC67E2A6.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jamesc said:

I split Reg’s hives the other day. They live opposite the Glentunnel store and keep his garden humming.

I Had a couple of spare queens , so grabbed a pie.... and crscked into it.

I was surprised at the smount of pollen in the pollen traps, as I had opened them up to let the bees keep most of the pollen a while ago.

Found the old queens and put them on new bottom boards to the back of the hives with most of the brood.

Popped the queens in the original box with four frames of brood and a squirt of air freshner to disguise the pheremone.

Doubled my numbers.... money for jam.

Reg had put a young lemon tree in front of the hives for some free pollination.

OMG .... the aroma.

4C1727C5-09A0-454C-B134-0167AC67E2A6.jpeg

What's the spray can for?

Scented garden ..... I put a puff in the brood to mask the old queen pheromone so that the bees  are more willing to accept the new queen.

I generally like to make the hive queen less for a few hours before the introductions .... but sometime time is of the essence. 

• Like 1
On 26/11/2020 at 6:38 AM, jamesc said:

Scented garden ..... I put a puff in the brood to mask the old queen pheromone so that the bees  are more willing to accept the new queen.

I generally like to make the hive queen less for a few hours before the introductions .... but sometime time is of the essence. 

I carry one in each vehicle so I've always got some on hand if needed, one day I had to buy three cans at the local dairy, indian shop owner serving me mentions "perhaps keep off the currys"

• Haha 7

94B602EF-265B-49F7-8902-DDEF1E7DB0CF.jpeg

I was pumping syrup this morning and thinking about Stoney and his C4 sugars, and the be honest, as the rain tumbled down and the bees hunkered down talking about the sweet Manuka around the corner, I couldn't give a toss about C4's.

C4's .... does the rest of the world care about C4, or is this a NZ phenomena ....

I thought I might change the sign to 'worlds end'.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Manukas all over, I'm still looking forward to getting out there even though it's been a bad season for both manuka and now kanuka, was hoping to get a decent boat but if I can cover costs withought having to sell my hard earned tractor I'll be a happy man. 

Things are going to have to change and site rates are going to have to drop! With an extra thousand hives in the area and prices dropping annually somethings gotta give, hopefully it's the corporates? how many years can you go on making a loss???

• Sad 2