November 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Mummzie,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

Dear dairy,

Have been around and caged the last round of queens from the nucs with over 85% Mated helps to make up for poor mating the couple of rounds earlier with the really unsettled weather this spring.. some were mated and laying fast at 9 days the earliest. 
Production hives are thumping forward with Manuka flowering beginning in my area I’ll hold off for another 10 days or so before sending them into the first block to make sure there’s enough bloom coming on. Once again I’ll be stripping every drop of honey off them except one or two frames in the nest some are now at ten broods which is a pain as I like to squeeze a little tucker in there for their  first couple of days in the new area. finding somewhere to pop the extra broods is a hassle.. 
Flower budding looks great with plenty there and in all stages meaning a nicely spread out bloom.
Weather so far has been challenging to put it mildly fingers crossed it settles down come December but I doubt it will. 

Trying to manage big populations, getting my lovely plastic FD frames (jimmyc ;) ) drawn out and also keeping them from storing too much low value bush honey has been a challenge with the frequent cold spells and rain. 

the oldest queens heading my hives are 12-13 months old has really made a difference regarding swarming as they just hang in there. 
one site today in several different hives I see a fresh egg in the odd Q cup and had a wee wonder about it. 
seeing as it’s the bees controlling all things I wondered if she pops the egg in the cup and if all is well the bees will eat it if not they will feed it.. none had been developed.. something to ponder as the bellbird sings her song above me. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of pirate beekeeping over the weekend and we’re just about finished the first round of supering up, thats quite early for us.    

But anyway... while the team was doing yhe hard yards... I was out galivanting around... checking access and gates. This one iss a classic.

Interesting thing happened yesterday, one of those things that are sometimes classed as a mystery.   Three weeks ago at a site I split 4 very strong hives in fear they would swarm. Did it by

Posted Images

About queens.. In contrary of many here used to to. I produce the queens for me after the swarm season. During the season I use the qe with entrance. Sometimes occur in super odd new queen, sometimes it can be I shift up unnoticed some young brood but in some cases I think it come as stranded from other colonies during mating flights. So occasionally I have extra brood afterward or split, whatever I choose. Such queens I try not to leave, due to uncertain origin or quality ( removing at place or later if I make split). Also some friends had problems when odd queen fly in their cell raisers and make massacre.

So with later queen production I have more chance to avoid odd queens fly in. Also when is swarming season over there is less chance for me to colony go into swarming mode ( I use Cloake board method) during abundant feeding. One more thing, since then isn't great flow I believe bees have more time to take better care for new queens. Also then I have to feed them as stimulus to they don't shut with brooding - to have lot of winter bees and decent winter clusters, that also has result to they keep drones longer or kick less out, increasing the chance drones from my colonies will have advantage.. Also in one research I read that the size of egg has correlation something similar like with hens ( chickens), and with decrease of brooding the eggs become bigger ( in bee standards).

Today I have some day off and have more time to jibber.. Please don't take all this must be correct. This is only my reasoning.  🙂

• Like 4
On 10/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

Been wet here. Bit greasy at this place, heavy truck, on a camber and overestimated my 4x4 skills resulting in poor hive placement and a bit of ploughing. Fortunate to get out, just. Bring a rake next time. Topsoil saturated.

IMG-20201110-WA0007_copy_648x1152.jpeg

Ive told my orchardist that if its raining or the ground is wet they get the hives placed in the loadout pad and no more, if I cant drive around the orchard in my two wheel when they need the hives then they can use their tractor after i'm gone to place them where I can't get. Health n Safty and also wear n tear, is the reason I give, had to many late night hours stuck when you shouldn't have to be, and orchard tractors have no traction to pull you out.

• Like 2

Dear Diary

last night it snowed in the hills and the ice warning indicator came on in the truck.

2c at 4.30 am ..... that and the pounding hail should slow the bud🤓

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Dear Diary - With the wind chill factor, it's been zero most of the a.m. in Leeston.  With wind chill factor it's just gone into double digits.  Now psyching myself to go to the grafting yard

You can do it! 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You can do it! 

Thank you for your faith.  However, I think there is something wrong with the temp gauge.  I think 10 degrees is a grossly inflated figure.  Now it's sleeting.  Will definitely need a large shot of top quality Leeston mead later this arvo

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Maggie James said:

Thank you for your faith.  However, I think there is something wrong with the temp gauge.  I think 10 degrees is a grossly inflated figure.  Now it's sleeting.  Will definitely need a large shot of top quality Leeston mead later this arvo

What a spring we are having.. Been a battle alright..

lucky for us this time it’s  passing us, got some good rain during the night.

can see rain bands going out over chch and Rangiora.. gusty wind but on the whole not too bad.. I’d crack a lid. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Brrrrrr .... it’s almost snowing again.

The misso’s best mate tells me this is the summer to expect in Canterbury.

South Easterly airflow....

Go west young men.

Coming home this morning I passed a trailer on the side of the road.... loaded with bees.... no tractor unit on the front and the shotgun rider dressed in puffa jacket looking stressed.

Busted bearings. Flat tyres....

The joys of The Great Migration.

My apologies for not stopping ....

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The misso’s best mate tells me this is the summer to expect in Canterbury.

South Easterly airflow....

Go west young men.

I recon your right on the money there.. just been out round the blocks to check On flowering and bang some Waratahs in around the sites.. really patchy looking bloom.. I sense a fizzer.. 

might target the honeydew.. no one else is 😊

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

I recon your right on the money there.. just been out round the blocks to check On flowering and bang some Waratahs in around the sites.. really patchy looking bloom.. I sense a fizzer.. 

might target the honeydew.. no one else is 😊

Tough Call .... someone once said you can never chase a flow.

I've gone for the fifty-fifty split ...... clovers/kamahi looking good, Manuka blooms there but needs some consistent heat, and the Dew .... is always a mystery!

10 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I think the odds are on for a hot, dry summer. Having moved from South Canterbury to Southland though, I haven't seen this much rain for a long time. So maybe the bit I am in will remain wet.

https://niwa.co.nz/climate/seasonal-climate-outlook/seasonal-climate-outlook-november-january-2021

I can never understand those NIWA predictions ..... the probability that it will or it won't be warmer or wetter ....

Right now in our gully we are colder and wetter than normal .... but that might well change when we will become warmer and dryer than normal.

Blueskies tells us to check back to our diaries for 2011 and 2018. They were both good honey years.

• Agree 1
59 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I can never understand those NIWA predictions ..... the probability that it will or it won't be warmer or wetter ....

Right now in our gully we are colder and wetter than normal .... but that might well change when we will become warmer and dryer than normal.

Blueskies tells us to check back to our diaries for 2011 and 2018. They were both good honey years.

Agree, it’s wetter and colder here also apart from the 8 days of heatwave we got where many of my plastic frames got a good layer of wax.. there’s a heck of a lot of clover base to local pasture.. sub clover also went nuts earlier but we now need some heat to let the juices flow.. 

chasing flows is a roll of the dice..

ya gotta know when to hold em.. know when to fold em.. 

know when to walk away... 

Edited by Stoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, jamesc said:

They seem pretty confident it will be warmer. But not so confident about the rainfall. Apparently their models didn't work too well with the spring weather so far. I am hoping its drier. I put a hive near my new school. Where my HOD assured me was a good spot. Last week one of the kids said " You know that area was covered in water when it flooded last time." Going to sit it on another layer of pallet.

18 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

They seem pretty confident it will be warmer. But not so confident about the rainfall. Apparently their models didn't work too well with the spring weather so far. I am hoping its drier. I put a hive near my new school. Where my HOD assured me was a good spot. Last week one of the kids said " You know that area was covered in water when it flooded last time." Going to sit it on another layer of pallet.

Well ... we need to check the confidence in the probability.... because once again, tonight we are trying to keep warm by a fire running on wet wood.... and I am contemplating buying more sugar.

54 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Well ... we need to check the confidence in the probability.... because once again, tonight we are trying to keep warm by a fire running on wet wood.... and I am contemplating buying more sugar.

fires blazing here tonight and we have been feeding syrup for a couple of weeks now :( 

41 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

fires blazing here tonight and we have been feeding syrup for a couple of weeks now :( 

Blazing fire here too.. burning magic wood all winter .. finally got a crack in the back of the firebox. 
I’m too close to the possibility of a honey flow I can’t risk C4.. pretty tight position I find myself in.. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

This nov is heading to be the wettest month since we got our weather station in 2014 .

Glad the tue/wed system is going north , really need some more  sun not  more rain.

Plenty of  stuff flowering but not enough decent weather to collect .

Local beeks are feeding too .

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I love the coast, fishing , hunting, humans per hectare ratio.. it’s got it all.. how’s the leg? 

Legs comin along good. Still in a moon boot with 1 crutch. Doin light duties back at work. Moving couple of hives out to Cranberry farm tomorrow for pollination then off surfcasting. On way home this evening 2 big hinds in paddock, so stopped and yelled, tooted car horn to scare em away and they ran up to car for a look. Crazy. Life is good😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2