November 2020 Apiary Diary

Message added by Mummzie,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of pirate beekeeping over the weekend and we’re just about finished the first round of supering up, thats quite early for us.    

But anyway... while the team was doing yhe hard yards... I was out galivanting around... checking access and gates. This one iss a classic.

Interesting thing happened yesterday, one of those things that are sometimes classed as a mystery.   Three weeks ago at a site I split 4 very strong hives in fear they would swarm. Did it by

Posted Images

On 5/11/2020 at 6:40 PM, Otto said:

Collected a few more pollen samples for a research project today. Lots of hawthorn pollen and a bunch of others I'm still hoping to learn about...

There's some dark purple/blue tree fuchsia pollen there too. Kind of looks like mouse droppings...

20201105_123023.jpg

20201105_134523.jpg

Reminds me more of one of them soup packets with lentils and peas and other healthy things in them....

• Like 2
On 5/11/2020 at 6:40 PM, Otto said:

Kind of looks like mouse droppings...

That's a most unappealing description to our senses.  I think it kinda looks like chopped pinenuts - only $6.34 per 100 g at Countdown this week (could be a few different lentils & peas thrown in also!)  A much better description appealing to four of our five senses - taste, touch, sight, smell 

watching some country calendar. Trying to figure out how many hives it takes to pull 49 tonnes of high grade manuka in a season - per the claim at about the 7'40" mark (start watching from 7 minutes) here: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/country-calendar/episodes/s2020-e27

I mean, the kamahi flow is nuts near some hives i've got, but i still don't expect to break the 100kg per hive there this year

Edited by tommy dave
11 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Trying to figure out how many hives it takes to pull 49 tonnes

Well if we assume a bee can pull .1 gram, there's 55,000 bees in a hive that's 5.5 kg per hive, so that 181 hives per tonne = 8,869 hives. 

• Haha 2

Dumping more hives at same place doesn't relate with more honey. Forage capacity is limiting factor. For instance if for certain forage is estimated it can give 1000kg/ha in optimal conditions, increasing above number of hives just reduce yield per hive. It cannot increase overall amount of honey. Some at my place forget and when yield per hive is low, bees are to blame..

• Like 3

And when u get to the holiday spot ....with the kids in the back anxious to get out and play ... whadya know .... the road to the icecream shop is’nt there anymore.

what did I say about prior and proper preparation.

C99C3E9B-5EAC-4E25-9F2E-525C4428FEB4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Some holiday snaps .... yeah right

James, where is the building?  Had to get out the magnifying glass to read the notice!  Great scenic photos.  

When shifting hives etc, perhaps you could diversify into domestic tourism.  Put a client in the truck cab.  A lot of people aren't keen on public transport, and there could be a demand for your "boutique" travel routes.  If the Chathams can get inundated with tourists, so can you.  The odd hours that you travel would be part of the experience

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 2