I just returned from a short time in Wellington, where I again took the opportunity to visit the National Library/Alexander Turnbull Libraries.

Edgar Earp was one of the very first apiary staff in NZ.  Upon his retirement (?) in the late 1930s, he donated his own collection of books and other items - about 400 items in all.

They are not really easy to get at - you can't just browse them on the shelf.  You have to order them from the catalog.  But to be able to hold the programme for the 1913 beekeeper's conference in your hands, with E.A. Earp's signature stamp on it - pretty amazing.

I'm hoping at some point to make some of his earlier writings more available.  Earp worked through that period when AFB was to be controlled under legislation - but control often meant 'shook swarming', a less than effective measure to eliminate disease from one's colonies...

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just returned from a short time in Wellington, where I again took the opportunity to visit the National Library/Alexander Turnbull Libraries.   Edgar Earp was one of the very first apiary

Sadly, in N.Z., I think it is simply that there has been little effort to preserve our beekeeping history.  The industry has just never been large or important enough for anyone to focus on ensuring t

New Zealanders propensity to top the tall poppies?

Excellent project Nick, please keep us updated.

I know in America, the writings of some of the early "fathers" are held in great respect. Even though dated. 

Less so in New Zealand.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
17 hours ago, Alastair said:

Excellent project Nick, please keep us updated.

I know in America, the writings of some of the early "fathers" are held in great respect. Even though dated. 

Less so in New Zealand.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, dansar said:

Sadly, in N.Z., I think it is simply that there has been little effort to preserve our beekeeping history.  The industry has just never been large or important enough for anyone to focus on ensuring the continued availability of the old books.  After all, "Everything is on the Internet"...  

And for sure, if you're going to read these old materials, you need to be clearly aware of the *current* conditions and practices for such things as AFB control and the (then quite indiscriminate) use of agricultural chemicals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2