Four frame extractor repairs

Our bee club's aging manual four frame extractor is in need of repairs. 

In particular, the cup pivot at the bottom of the extractor that holds the spindle that holds the basket for honey frames is worn out (no photo, sorry, but I hope you know what I'm talking about).

We are considering putting in a nylon pivot, that has a ball bearing at the base - pic as below. The spindle sits on top of the ball bearing.

Has anyone installed this nylon pivot in their extractor and did it work? Reason for asking is that the existing pivot has to be cut out and this is irreversible - well, except for an expensive stainless steel welding job.

Feel free to offer alternative suggestions.

Thanks.

John

IMG_1433.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In one of our extractors the axle/spindle is rounded on the end and the centre bearing is quite a big s/s bolt that has a cup machined into the head that is infact just a blind/shallow, drilled hole.

With those extractors that have a bearing under the main spindle, when the extractor is new, take one bearing to the likes of Saeco, and for about a dollar, you can buy a matching spare, as often peop

Posted Images

In one of our extractors the axle/spindle is rounded on the end and the centre bearing is quite a big s/s bolt that has a cup machined into the head that is infact just a blind/shallow, drilled hole. (no ball bearing(s)). If it ever wore out I would get another bolt and drill another cup. I sort of expect the spindle to wear out first, but we'll see. In your case, I would be concerned about the nylon being a bit too soft and maybe lacking longevity, but there would be no harm in just trying and if it did not work out, you could easily bolt anything in there in due course once you have a hole.

• Agree 1

Thanks for your replies.

Good point Trevor, I will have a look to see if it used to have a ball bearing. Perhaps I could just drop in a new one?

Thanks ChrisM, that is an option we could do faillng the ball bearing replacement.

Thanks Sailabee, I'll find out these stronger types of plastic.

With those extractors that have a bearing under the main spindle, when the extractor is new, take one bearing to the likes of Saeco, and for about a dollar, you can buy a matching spare, as often people forget the bearing is there, and when cleaning up after use, pour it away with the wash water.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, John T said:

I'll find out these stronger types of plastic.

That unit is made with Engineering grade plastic/nylon.  They are self lubricating and pretty much wear proof.  This grade of material will just about last forever, specially in a hobby situation.  The little bearing under the shaft is very important, and as @Sailabee said, they are very easy to throw out with the cleaning water.