Using excluder to find queen

One of my hives has a lot of drones, queen is 2 years old. The hive is doing well but I want to replace her but can't find her.....can I put an excluder between the 2 brood boxes then get back into the box she will then be in..... should be able to find her then.

There are playcups there but I don't want to split yet if I don't have to, would rather they raise a new queen.

Appreciate some ideas thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have lots of drones at the moment, that’s normal.   Yup you can do that. Just make sure both boxes have ample space for her to lay, you don’t want her in a whole box of necta

You can put an excluder between the two brood boxes. Then after a few days, the box with eggs will be the one with the queen.  

One of my hives has a lot of drones, queen is 2 years old. The hive is doing well but I want to replace her but can't find her.....can I put an excluder between the 2 brood boxes then get back into th

4 hours ago, Bees3 said:

One of my hives has a lot of drones, queen is 2 years old. The hive is doing well but I want to replace her but can't find her.....can I put an excluder between the 2 brood boxes then get back into the box she will then be in..... should be able to find her then.

There are playcups there but I don't want to split yet if I don't have to, would rather they raise a new queen.

Appreciate some ideas thanks

You should have lots of drones at the moment, that’s normal.

Yup you can do that.

Just make sure both boxes have ample space for her to lay, you don’t want her in a whole box of nectar with no space for eggs.

Most hives will make cups, it doesn’t always mean they are going to use them. Just be sure to check them for eggs.

You don’t have to split if you don’t want to, replacing the old queen will stop your hive from wanting to swarm in most cases.

It is however always recommended to have 2 hives instead of one, so you can use one to fix the other if need be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1