combining hives at this time of year

Hi all

I have started a new job in the deep south. I have had to remove my 4 hives from the school farm at my own job, as well as move my own hives to my block of land in Central Otago. My new school has already requested a hive, which I have delivered.  I now find myself with a tad more than I need and am resisting the urge to allow hive creep occur.

My plan is to take the FD brood boxes of the weaker hives and either squash the queen or bank her in a nuc as a spare and use the newspaper method to combine with another.  In theory this should give me a couple of monster hives. My problem is the FD brood boxes. I am thinking that after a couple of weeks, I will remove a frame or two and space them out, so the bees can use them as a honey super for the season. Food shouldn't be a problem as they are flat stick gathering nectar from somewhere, and a local beek assures me the thyme flow will start soon, then the white clover.

Apart from the obvious weight issues of the FD honey super, is this a sound plan?

I am confident enough in my own abilities now that should I want to increase my numbers, I could replace them easily enough.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like a sensible plan.  I usually join the 2 hives with newspaper and a queen excluder and then decide later which queen i am going to squash.  Just another option.

Sure.  I always put the older queen up top. If one queen gets killed, then the worst that has happened is that you did not have to make the selection.  

19 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Sounds like a sensible plan.  I usually join the 2 hives with newspaper and a queen excluder and then decide later which queen i am going to squash.  Just another option.

I hadn't considered that. I would have thought that the bees from the bottom brood box might kill the queen in the top box and vice versa. knowing my past mishaps adding a queen to hive that had a little virgin sneaking around.