Aussie beeks fight for Manuka

18 hours ago, Boot said:

I believe the Australian Aboriginal word for Tea Tree is Kalara. This should be used for Australian product if they no longer want to use Jelly Bush. 

the aussie beeks (*want to) believe manuka is the aboriginal word for all tea trees. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly it was one man, not NZ, and he was a transplanted Welshman, who did all the work, and I remember one Conference many moons ago when there was fierce opposition to a Remit at the AGM to approve 

Manuka is a Maori word, not an aboriginal word.  Aborigines are one of the oldest races in the world.  When you google Polynesia, Australia isn't on the list, but NZ is.  Therefore the Australians nee

Leatherwood is another plant altogether. They used to call their active honey jelybush (Leptospermum polygalifolium) but now all labelled ‘manuka’

My understanding is historically with post colonisation, no matter what the ethnic group in NZ, manuka was manuka.  

If Australians reverted to a non indigenious common name such as Ti Tree or Tea Tree for a varietal that was not Leptospernum scoparium, well I guess that's their choice.  

Edited by Maggie James