Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daley

Archive Miscellaneous Snaps

Another cute dog... [attachment=3300:name] It's possibly best not to ask... :) Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Janice']Kill the hedgehog. They eat eggs and baby birds and I've even caught one in the henhouse chewing on the leg of one of my poor old chooks who preferred to sleep on the ground.[/quote] Noooooo! I love hedgehogs so much! They do a lot less damage than cats, and most people own one of them and think its fine. I am NOT a cat person....

Look at it... He's so cute :D[attachment=3301:name]

:love: aaww, now that's just not fair, Daley! Actually.. I'm kind of a sucker for a hog already. We have a cat who moved in under our house a year and a half ago.. the kids named her Sophie, and she's become part of the family, though still pretty shy - won't come inside for more than an hour's visit on an evening, but very cuddly and of course we take care of her now. But as of a month or so ago, every night about 9pm her metal food dish clatters around for a few minutes. It's a hedgehog that we used to see in the backyard very occasionally, who has now moved in under the house with Sophie, and comes out every evening and tips her bowl over to eat whatever she's left of her tea. We call him Spike.

Still waiting for these bikini pics, the Beesuit just isn't doing it for me:cool: Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='deejaycee']:love: aaww, now that's just not fair, Daley! Actually.. I'm kind of a sucker for a hog already. We have a cat who moved in under our house a year and a half ago.. the kids named her Sophie, and she's become part of the family, though still pretty shy - won't come inside for more than an hour's visit on an evening, but very cuddly and of course we take care of her now. But as of a month or so ago, every night about 9pm her metal food dish clatters around for a few minutes. It's a hedgehog that we used to see in the backyard very occasionally, who has now moved in under the house with Sophie, and comes out every evening and tips her bowl over to eat whatever she's left of her tea. We call him Spike.[/quote] Spike is a good hedgehog name. I see hedgehogs all the time, never in my yard though as I have a dog, but I always see them at work. Sometimes I stop driving at night when I see one to give it a poke :lol they're so cool! My friend Tim wanted to see what hedgehogs looked like underneath not rolled up, so he put one in a Pyrex dish.. I'm yet to try it, but I will. I'd say its probably quite entertaining. I love pheasants too, and all pheasants are called Roger, even the girl ones, cept they're Mrs Roger, and baby roger jnrs. they're such gorgeous looking birds. This is roger the first, he was a friends pet. They live on a farm with a very very long driveway, and roger would run along beside the truck the whole way from the gate to the house. It was hilarious

wow ! i've never seen them as pets. got some poor pics of two male pheasants fighting each other from the other day next to the bee shed.

[quote name='tristan']wow ! i've never seen them as pets. got some poor pics of two male pheasants fighting each other from the other day next to the bee shed.[/quote] They fight to the death usually... :( Yeah I used to have some when I was a very little kid on the farm we got them as chicks, I can't really remember them, but I remember when somebody parked on the road outside our house and shot them from the road. My dad went fully batshit, so that's the only part I can remember. Lots of f's and f you c, and rah rah shooting towards my house when my kids are playing outside. U get the message.

This is where I grew up.. At Motu. In the middle of nowhere haha[attachment=3307:name]

hey Daley, doesn't Motu mean back in the sticks, isolated:) is the river we see actually the Motu river in your last photo there?? havent seen or been in this area so dont laugh at my dumb question if it is:rolleyes: it looks like it could be the beginning of the river before it goes through the ranges,, well thats me guessing,, ,, i have been meaning to raft it you see. i used to play on and around the Mohaka river rafting, hunting. the Motu is one of those rivers i have always wanted to spend a week down on a raft with a few friends, to get them out of their comfort zones:sneaky: so is this close to the area where people start the journey rafting and kayaking down through the ranges to come out at Houpoto, highway 35??

Yeah I rafted it three times last year. Deer and pigs and trout and class 4 whitewater

[FONT=Georgia]Yeah I rafted it three times last year. Deer and pigs and trout and class 4 whitewater[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia]hey Merk,, are you able to raft the river fully or is there one spot you need to get out and maneuver the raft around a drop,, theres some place i'm told that is like a waterfall or chute that runs into a small mellow canyon?[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia]dose this sound right?? [/FONT] [FONT=Georgia]is this the spot thats class 4?? or is there more 4?[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia]yes i'm told the pigs a legendary, well the amounts and good size anyway,, actually all of your area is,.[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia]a few guys i know chopper into the Motu just for the porka's from up here every year,, but its the venison for me (no fun been behind smelly dogs)[/FONT]

Nah it's all good to raft, top to bottom. Nastiest rapid is called the chute, it's got a big hydraulic in flood but the rest of the time it's runnable. If you can do the Mohaka you can do the Motu.

Wait it's called the slot, not the chute. There's videos on youtube

[quote name='Merk']Wait it's called the slot, not the chute. There's videos on youtube[/quote] cheers for that, i will have a look..

teeny baby flounder... at work today :D[attachment=3333:name]

[quote name='Daley']teeny baby flounder... at work today :D[/quote] Really have to question this "work" that you do.:rofl::whistle:

We started at 4:30am, moving hives to a spot near the beach, so we had a wee rest, digging for tua tuas at the beach. And we found this little guy. So we played with it for a bit, then had pastrys and went back to work. I worked 4:30am til 7pm with of course some mucking round at the beach in between, it makes it easier to work long hours and not get tired if you're having a good time. And today was such a hot day, so it was nice to get down for a swim after work. I have alot of fun adventures at work :D

Also, I worked until 9 last night building gear, so was a bit sleep deprived already. Me and bossman are efficient, so we have time to play with animals :lol

[quote name='Shane'][FONT=Georgia]Wait it's called the slot, not the chute. There's videos on youtube[/FONT] cheers for that, i will have a look..[/quote] Oh and there's a lot more class 4, but a lot depends on the flow at the time. It's a bad place to wrap your raft on a boulder, long walk home. Takes three days minimum to go daleys house to the beach, there's a few hunters bivys you can stay in on the way down.

[quote name='Shane']hey Daley, doesn't Motu mean back in the sticks, isolated:) is the river we see actually the Motu river in your last photo there?? havent seen or been in this area so dont laugh at my dumb question if it is:rolleyes: it looks like it could be the beginning of the river before it goes through the ranges,, well thats me guessing,, ,, i have been meaning to raft it you see. i used to play on and around the Mohaka river rafting, hunting. the Motu is one of those rivers i have always wanted to spend a week down on a raft with a few friends, to get them out of their comfort zones:sneaky: so is this close to the area where people start the journey rafting and kayaking down through the ranges to come out at Houpoto, highway 35??[/quote] To the best of my knowledge it means island. The bigger browner river is the Motu, it starts quite a bit further up, the smaller creek is called waiwhero. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about rafting, but I lived on the corner of the whakarau road and Motu road, so I'm a wee way above the falls, I don't know if its any good to raft that bit by where I lived as it seemed fairly tame to me. I think people do more rafting below the falls? But I'm not certain. I'm more of a hunting/bush/land person myself, I find water to be a bit scary. I had plenty other things to do :D I have been further down the river by a mates place on a tyre tube, and another time in an inflatable dinghy(whoops forgot the bung, let me tell you, that was interesting) But most of the time I've spent floating around was in the paddocks over the fences when we had a good flood for a laugh.

cool Merk,, yes i have heard its all about the flow with this river, it been unknown to me i would definitely be looking at a late summer trip first. have to replace my raft first, its seen better days and bloody rats, must get onto that. someone was telling me of some kayakers who have done the river in very serious times on big flows, i'm sure they said in one day, scary. three days on the water sounds good, ok thats interesting about more of the 4 class. i didnt realize there were bivys, i thought just maybe there was something of something from some old map in one spot maybe. our government has done a good job in knocking many off sadly,, i remember them going in with choppers when i was living down there somewheres just to dismantle these places,, absolutely criminal. even a sheet of tin can be a life saver when things happen to go against ya, so yeah thats good to know, thanks..

thanks Daley, yes i know what you mean by water, i do a bit of diving off the west coast up here and it still scares the hell out of me. i think its the most scariest think i do,, well my heart thinks so.. its all about getting out past the breakers on 90 mile beach, its scary at times,,, my other half has kittens at times but what a trooper she is(such a brave silly girl to trust me):) i need her to hold the boat (not really:sneaky:) when dropping down to around 40-60 feet in the water thats usually of visual of about 6-10 feet only,,, anything more then this and you can be watching sharks swimming around ya,,( theres so many these days) whats the saying, what you dont know or see is better then.......... in the floods up here when i was a kid we did the same as you did, but eels were a bit eager at times on having the odd bite when the water was yuck. i cannot tell you how many eel bites i've had in my life time, from sea and rivers. actually the worst frightful eel bite i had was on the Mohaka river. not stitching stuff like i have had from sea eels,, who cares about a few fingers when other parts are more important:confused: i was having a wash at night time in winter in that river, theres one place a man prefers not ever to be bit (lucky it was very cold) i am so glad he missed but not by very much,,, i walked on water that night covered in soup which was so difficult to wash off in the first place because of that dam cold water,,,, and i couldnt really show off my war wound but it was a good laugh,, even to my lonely self at the time.

[quote name='Shane']cool Merk,, yes i have heard its all about the flow with this river, it been unknown to me i would definitely be looking at a late summer trip first. have to replace my raft first, its seen better days and bloody rats, must get onto that. someone was telling me of some kayakers who have done the river in very serious times on big flows, i'm sure they said in one day, scary. three days on the water sounds good, ok thats interesting about more of the 4 class. i didnt realize there were bivys, i thought just maybe there was something of something from some old map in one spot maybe. our government has done a good job in knocking many off sadly,, i remember them going in with choppers when i was living down there somewheres just to dismantle these places,, absolutely criminal. even a sheet of tin can be a life saver when things happen to go against ya, so yeah thats good to know, thanks..[/quote] [url="http://edenz.niwa.co.nz/map/plot?name=Motu+at+Houpoto+%28River+Flow%29"]Environmental Data Explorer New Zealand[/url] That link has current flow info on it, 50 cumecs is perfect, anything above 100 gets scary and below 25 is too rocky. I know someone who kayaked it in a day in flood, 500 cumecs plus, he's a good kayaker and he said it was very scary. I can only imagine

Family and friends went out for a walk to the viewing platform on Maungatautari mountain (ecological island that is fully fenced with preditor proof fencing between Putaruru and Te Awamutu) Rata has finished flowering about a week ago. Rewa Rewa is still in flower and the Tui were loving it. Mamaku frond [attachment=3366:name] Rewa Rewa [attachment=3368:name] [attachment=3367:name]