Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daley

Archive Miscellaneous Snaps

I have to admit giving the old mailbox baseball thing a goit was so much fun at the time, but when i came to the next day felt so stink, never did it again so when my mailbox gets hit which is impossile at the moment, (its built into a stone wall) i'll probably swear and curse but think oh well that will teach me, Karma.

A few years back I was out for a run and went past a letterbox on the footpath. Little chuckle to myself but had a nagging feeling the letterbox looked familiar. Got home and sure enough, it was ours

[attachment=3234:name] A bee with a identity problem , was in a hive with a failing queen

A bit of clover honey....[attachment=3238:name] !

[quote="Rob Atkinson, post: 23887, member: 306"][ATTACH=full]2786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]2787[/ATTACH] A bee with a identity problem , was in a hive with a failing queen[/quote] Interesting... Poor little fulla, I hope the other bees are nice to it

[quote name='Daley']Interesting... Poor little fulla, I hope the other bees are nice to it[/quote] that hive also had a few bees that were worker front end and drone back end but they wouldn't stay still for a photo. Not something I've seen before

Yeah pretty weird alright!

This weekend I was examining a couple of frames that I am waiting to empty out, when I noticed something unusual - "Gah! whats that hole in the brood cap!" I thought, then "OMG theres another, and another!" Turns out it wasn't anything unusual after all - just something I had not seen yet. Thought I share for any other newbies who haven't seen this yet: [attachment=3246:name] [attachment=3250:name] So is this pale colouration normal for newly emerged bees? How long does it take them to darken to a normal colour range?

[quote name='Erin']This weekend I was examining a couple of frames that I am waiting to empty out, when I noticed something unusual - "Gah! whats that hole in the brood cap!" I thought, then "OMG theres another, and another!" Turns out it wasn't anything unusual after all - just something I had not seen yet. Thought I share for any other newbies who haven't seen this yet: [ATTACH=full]2799[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]2801[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]2802[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]2803[/ATTACH] So is this pale colouration normal for newly emerged bees? How long does it take them to darken to a normal colour range?[/quote] Ok, this is weird :D but watching bees hatch is one of my absolute favourite things to do, I could literally do it for hours! They are just so cute when they first come out, they look all retarded and wet, and if you look at their eyes they seem to almost be smaller and a bit covered by fuzz. They don't appear to be able to fly at this age either, and as they get older their eyes change slightly and they change colour. I guess this is how you could tell what role a bee has in a hive and guess its age. But unfortunately I don't know how long they take to colour up, but my guess is maybe 2 days. If you pick one up and watch it, mostly all they do is clean themselves. So I suppose when they unstick all their fuzz and eat a bit they colour up, almost like being anaemic.. You can eventually pretty much guess what's under most of your cappings with out opening them, but its always good to check until you know. Plus it's interesting, to see how they chew their way out :D and look at all the changes they go through bit by bit. Amazing little things.

I believe for the first 2-3 days they can't sting, there stinger is to soft to puncher the skin

Our beautiful new boxes! :D [attachment=3280:name] A tiny goat my boss caught for me to play with haha :lol just an ordinary day at the office[attachment=3281:name]

Whack it on the head, before it eats all the clover.

those boxs may have a problem passing local regional colour Resource-Consent i'm thinking:what:,, now i see why you wear such big sunglasses Daley:cool::D

designer series bee boxes :cool: :D

i see your goat, raise you a deer. [attachment=3282:name] [attachment=3283:name]

Is that your bedroom tristan. deer/ bedroom??....

Goodnight deer . . .

yeah right, bedroom for six! it shearing quarters we where camping in for the weekend.

[quote name='Merk']Whack it on the head, before it eats all the clover.[/quote] Bully! :cry:

[quote name='tristan']i see your goat, raise you a deer. [ATTACH=full]2842[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2843[/ATTACH][/quote] Ngawwww :love: I want it :D

I see your deer Tristan :D I raise you a hedgehog.... [attachment=3286:name] And a baby turkey.... And this is a really bad picture of me, but I just want to win the small animal competition hehe :lol [attachment=3287:name]

Kill the hedgehog. They eat eggs and baby birds and I've even caught one in the henhouse chewing on the leg of one of my poor old chooks who preferred to sleep on the ground.

Let me see, do I want the deer in the bedroom, or the kitchen... Bedroom... kitchen. Hmmm. :D What were you thinking?

[quote="Dave Black, post: 24178, member: 219"]Let me see, do I want the deer in the bedroom, or the kitchen... Bedroom... kitchen. Hmmm. :D What were you thinking?[/quote] ask and you shall receive ! [attachment=3297:name]

[quote name='Daley']I see your deer Tristan :D I raise you a hedgehog.... [/quote] i can't find the cute bunny photos at the mo so about some deer and dog. [attachment=3299:name] [attachment=3298:name]