Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daley

Archive Miscellaneous Snaps

The random photo thread :rofl: get snap happy. Share your cool pics, I love photos, they're the perfect reminder of good times :D

my wee friend :) chillin on my arm having a rest[attachment=2994:name]

Some photos I took this week :D The manuka masher, I believe this thing was used back in the day.. dragged up the top of a hill and rolled down to clear scrub.. found it getting over grown in the forestry, seems poetic really. [attachment=3024:name] These are some of my cells I made. [attachment=3027:name] Our brand new scrub site, these hives have been here a week, some of them have 3 supers on now :D fingers crossed! [attachment=3025:name]

You are right Daley. With the scrub smasher, it does not take nature long to reclaim it's own. It is amazing watching the transformation as moss, then dirt the weed and eventually trees start growing on big steel things.

[quote name='Daley']Some photos I took this week :D The manuka masher, I believe this thing was used back in the day.. dragged up the top of a hill and rolled down to clear scrub.. found it getting over grown in the forestry, seems poetic really. [ATTACH=full]2550[/ATTACH] [/quote] A family friends farm had one in use when I was a teenager rolled on cables up and down the hills around the scrubby parts of the farm. I shot my first turkey and rabbit on that farm.

a few pics dad has taken. mangawhai [attachment=3041:name] east coast [attachment=3042:name] [attachment=3043:name] the "sweat bowl" [attachment=3044:name]

[quote name='tristan'] the "sweat bowl" [ATTACH=full]2570[/ATTACH][/quote] Haha funny, we've got a site I call 'the pie warmer' I love naming sites

yeah that site was a real cooker. those ones where you have to walk everything in/out up the hill are just killers. there a fair few unprintable names for them!

we have one called 'the grapist' and one called 'everest' and one called 'the donut' gotta keep it interesting... its fun to be a bit silly sometimes

My bee drover bed, didn't get to sleep until 4:45am Wednesday morning after working Tuesday and driving up the coast... had a tyre blow out on the tandem on the way, what a barrel of laughs at 2am.. NOT :what: ... got alot of stings through my suit too. After driving down the 'death track' where the bees go :lol Then did a spot of fishing A spot of kiwi improv with the cooking at Te Araroa motor camp (Hive tool spatula :D) And a spot of eating Not much sleeping, and another 5am fishing mission then home :rofl: And I get to actually sleep tonight! YAY

[quote name='Daley']My bee drover bed, didn't get to sleep until 4:45am Wednesday morning after working Tuesday and driving up the coast... had a tyre blow out on the tandem on the way, what a barrel of laughs at 2am.. NOT :what: ... got alot of stings through my suit too. After driving down the 'death track' where the bees go :lol Then did a spot of fishing A spot of kiwi improv with the cooking at Te Araroa motor camp (Hive tool spatula :D) And a spot of eating Not much sleeping, and another 5am fishing mission then home :rofl: And I get to actually sleep tonight! YAY[/quote] I definitely chose the wrong career.... :)

Oh, and then there's this 'special' collection of mailbox photos I took today :lol I love the east coast! Do people do this elsewhere? I did not have to look hard to find these either, this is as common as.

nice to fit a bit of fishing in :) yeah we get a few werid mailboxes but posties kicked up a stink some years ago so most interesting ones have been replaced with boring ones.

[quote name='tristan']nice to fit a bit of fishing in :) yeah we get a few werid mailboxes but posties kicked up a stink some years ago so most interesting ones have been replaced with boring ones.[/quote] I hate our postie. Lazy as and grumpy as too. Wish I could get my mail some other way. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Grant']I hate our postie. Lazy as and grumpy as too. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] You try getting up at 5am 6 days a week !

My parents got a new mailbox, they were scared the postie would lean on it and snap it off as it was rusty. I never see my postie... But I'm not surprised if their grumpy... I would get sick of being chased by all the unrestrained dogs in my neighbourhood

[quote name='yesbut']You try getting up at 5am 6 days a week ![/quote] Haha I used to get up at 3:30am and I was perky as :D you just gotta tough it out

[quote name='yesbut']You try getting up at 5am 6 days a week ![/quote] neighbour gets up 4 am 7 days a week to milk the cows. poste usually works a shift anyway, the hours are not to bad. i think its doing the same old thing day in day out gets to them tho. some of them i know have two jobs.

While on the subject of mail boxes, here's a pic of mine. [attachment=3196:name] This is one mean mail box, looks like a lot of the standard green ones you can buy... But this baby was made at work from 6 mm thick RHS, all welded construction. It weighs a ton and I made it as payback for the local hoons who obliterated my first box (made from cedar), smashing it with a baseball bat on a driveby one night. They have hit this one too, we actually heard the metallic "whack" followed by the howl of pain as the baseball bat was dropped. Funny, they've not bothered since, even though other folk around have had theirs smashed... Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Derek']While on the subject of mail boxes, here's a pic of mine. [ATTACH]2745[/ATTACH] This is one mean mail box, looks like a lot of the standard green ones you can buy... But this baby was made at work from 6 mm thick RHS, all welded construction. It weighs a ton and I made it as payback for the local hoons who obliterated my first box (made from cedar), smashing it with a baseball bat on a driveby one night. They have hit this one too, we actually heard the metallic "whack" followed by the howl of pain as the baseball bat was dropped. Funny, they've not bothered since, even though other folk around have had theirs smashed... Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Haha that's gold! Good job :rofl:

[quote name='Grant']I hate our postie. Lazy as and grumpy as too. Wish I could get my mail some other way. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] I always find the courier the worst :D They drive up my driveway, honk till I come out. And won't get out of the van, I have to get my parcels out the drivers window haha Theres one lady who I say hello to and try to talk to and say thanks, and she doesn't say a word, just ignores me.

[quote name='Daley']Haha that's gold! Good job :rofl:[/quote] We had to wait 11 long months for the pleasure.... but sooooooooo worth it. :rofl:

hi all,, something from my travels. hope i have got everything right and the images are showing. apiary in Ukraine, the log hives,, they were not to far from their capital Kiev. other is in Kursk area, Russia, house i bunked down had these box hives . all houses were on water wells out front,,,, no taps in houses at all. came across many apiary's over there, some where seriously back country areas like a commercial guy i came across in eastern russia (having trouble finding photos, will post if i find) beautiful tasting honey i thought (the far eastern honey) at that time i was more intrigued where the keeper was living sleeping,, i think it was the cab of this bedford looking truck,, which was very debatable of its road worthiness or if it actually was able to move (something like we used to see often parked up in a paddock once upon a time) closest shop city to him was 450Km. most commercial apiary's i came across were deep in their forest(bear county) but these Ukraine hives i found were very cool.

COOL! :D

My parents have a beat up old tin mail box that used to get pulled off its post and taken for a walk down the street or in the day get double happy's detonated in it. I dyna bolted it to the stuco fence - 20years ago - it is still on the fence in the same location - with a few extra dents, but still on the fence.